The first born son of Willis and Jane Austin lived for a time in Madison Co., Virginia. He worked as a wheelwright. Around 1854/55 he married Louisa J. Broyles, daughter of Garriott and Eunice Broyles. Later the Austin family moved to Missouri along with the Broyles family to Henry County, Missouri. There in 1857 John H. Austin bought one half acre for $38.00. His cabin was used for a post office until 1860. John H. Austin died 1862/3 but his widow Louisa continued the post office until 1864. After 1883-4 Louisa Austin and some of her children moved to Shelby County, Illinois. Her son Henry had already come to Shelby County and was living with John and Cordelia Broyles Harmon in 1880. Cordelia Harmon was Louisa Austin’s sister. Cordelia died sometime before Louisa came to Shelby County. Louisa Austin married her sister’s widower John Harmon in 1884. Louisa J. Broyles Austin Harmon lived until 11 June 1912. Her obituary appeared in the 20 June 1912 Shelby Democrat. Surviving were her husband John Harmon, sons: ‘William Austin of California; Belfield and Henry Austin of Shelby Co., Ill.; Thomas Austin of Missouri; daughter Ida Bowman of Lakewood, Ill. Stepchildren: Estella Duckett and M. M. Harmon of Lakewood, Ill. She was buried in Harmon Cemetery.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
601 John H. Austin born circa 1824 Madison Co., Va. married circa 1854/5 Louisa J. Broyles born 6 Feb. 1837 Madison Co., Va. died 13. June 1912 Shelby Co., Ill. died circa 1863 Henry Co., Missouri married 2, John Harmon, 5 April 1882
Children of John H. Austin and Louisa J. Broyles:
- 701 Belfield Kirtley Austin born 10 August 1856 Madison Co., Va. married 28 Oct. 1883, Christian Co., Mo. Gertrude Wilma Rhodus born 13 Oct. 1863 Ill. died 29 Feb, 1899 Shelby Co., Ill. died 15 ,dug. 1943 Shelby Co., Ill.
- 702 Henry L. Austin born 17 Oct. 1861 Kansas married Anna A. Finks died 22 Jan. 1934 Shelby Co., Ill.
- 821 Edna Pearl Austin born June 1889 married H. E. Richardson
- 822 Lillie Fern Austin born Dec. 1895 married 8 April 1917 Otto Frank Hayward
- 921 Noel G. Hayward
- 922 Ruby Hayward married Leonard Wheat
- 923 John H. Hayward
- 703 William R. Austin
- 704 Thomas Austin Left surviving heirs.
- 705 Ida Austin married John Ed Bowman died 2 Aug 1960
Son Ebert died 1979, another son died young
Sources for the Genealogy of John H. Austin:
- 1850 Madison Co,, Va. Census
- Obituary of Belfield, K. Austin
- History of Henry & St. Clair Co., Mo. 1883, p. 407
- 1880 Census of Shelby Co., Ill.
- Shelbyville Democrat, 20 June 1912
- Shelbyville Daily Union, 29 March 1967
- Shelby Co., Ill. Probate Records