Belfield Austin, son of John H. Austin and Louisa J. Broyles, continued living in Henry County, Missouri where on 28 October 1883 he married Gertrude Wilma Rhodus. While in Missouri they had five children: two of which died by 1890 of cholera. During the summer of 1898 the family moved to Shelby County, Illinois where Henry, Belfield’s brother, was already living with his wife near Lakewood, Illinois. In November of that same year, Belfield and Gertrude had another son Herbert. Unfortunately on 29 Feb. 1899, “Mrs. Belfield Austin died at her home northeast of town (Lakewood)… and the remains were interred in the Harmon Cemetery Sunday. She leaves a husband and four children.”
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Belfield was left with children to care for, the youngest being a small baby. On November 6, 1899 C. A. Kellar assumed guardianship of the baby Herbert and moved to Colorado: Belfield K. Austin remained at his home near Lakewood until his death in 1943. His estate was administered by his son Gilbert. A public sale was held in May/June 1944 to sell two tracts of land and 1 tract of oil and mineral rights to satisfy the state of Illinois claims against the estate. The land was a five acre tract near Lakewood and five lots in Cowden.
Belfield’s obituary read:
”Hatfield K. Austin, son of John and Louisa Austin, was born near Madison, Virginia, August 10, 1856 and died August 15, 1943.
He was united in marriage to Gertrude Wilma Rhodus. To this union six children were born, namely: Mrs. Grace Spracklin, of Champaign; Gilbert Austin, Tower Hill; Clarence Austin in defense work, location not exactly known; Hubert Austin, Nebraska; and George and Henry, both preceding their father in death.
Mr. Austin was a good neighbor in the community in which he lived and a man with outstanding character who had faith in his neighborhood.
Besides the children, he leaves 13 grandchildren and 8 great-grandchildren and one sister Mrs. Ed. Bowman, Lakewood, and a host of other relatives and friends.
Funeral services were held Tuesday at 2:00 pm at the Lockart Funeral Home, Rev. Harmon Etter of Pana officiating. Music was furnished by Mr. and Mrs. Otis Carter, Rev. Silas Wakefield and Mrs. Brumitt, accompanied by Ms. Verna Wakefield.
Pallbearers were: George Bauer, Henry Horseman, Dan Plowman, Leverett Russell, John Duckett and A. W. Moore.”
Burial was in Harmon Cemetery.
701 Belfield Kirtley Austin born 10 August 1856 Madison Co., Va. married 28 Oct. 1883 Gertrude Wilma Rhodus born 13 Oct. 1863 Ill. died 29 Feb. 1899 Shelby Co., Ill. died 15 Aug. 1943 Shelby Co., Ill.
Children of Belfield Kirtley Austin and Gertrude Wilma Rhodus:
- 801 Grace Belle Austin born 5 Sept. 1884 Henry Co., Mo. married 29 March 1903 Shelby Co., Ill. George Elias Spracklin died 27 June 1971 Champaign Co., Ill. SEE # 444 of Spracklin line.
- 802 Gilbert K. Austin born 28 Jan. 1886 Henry Co., Mo. married 6 Feb. 1907 Nancy Vella McLaughlin born 5 Nov. 1887 Shelby Co., Ill. died 21 Oct. 1965 Shelby Co., Ill.
- 931 Herbert 1908-1908
- 932 Halden died 17 Oct. 1937
- 933 Melden K. 1929-1950
- 934 Eldon Dean Austin born 20 May 1927 married 4 July 1948 Mariann Chamberlain
- 1001 Cameron Austin
- 1101 Bret Austin
- 1102 Brock Austin
- 803 George Austin born 16 Feb. 1888 died 15 July 1889 Henry Co., Mo,
- 804 Henry Austin born 1 March 1890 died 3 March 1890 Henry Co., Mo.
- 805 Clarence Austin born 18 July 1891 Henry Co., Mo. married Florence Montonye died 1962 Shelby Co., Ill.
Ch: Robert, Ruby, Vanita, Betty
- 806 Hubert Austin born 13 Nov. 1898 Shelby Co., Ill. died after 1943
Sources for the Genealogy of Belfield Kirtley Austin:
- Grace Belle Austin Spracklin Records
- 1918 Prairie Farmers’ Directory of Shelby County, Ill.
- Shelby Co. Leader, 29 Feb. 1899
- 1899 Shelby Co., Ill. Probate Records
- 1943 Shelby Co., Ill. Probate Records
- Helbyville Daily Union, 23 August 1943.