Almost three-quarters of a century have come and gone since Nicholas De Moulpied became a resident of southeastern Wisconsin, and throughout the intervening period to his death he was closely associated with agricultural interests in Kenosha and Racine counties. He was born in Guernsey, September 25, 1819, the same day on which occurred the birth of Queen Victoria, and after spending his youthful days on his native isle and acquiring a public school education there he crossed the Atlantic to the United States when twenty-five years of age. He made his way to Southport, now Kenosha, and for a year was a resident of the town of Somers in Kenosha County. He afterward came to Racine County and bought one hundred acres, to which he afterward added until at the time of his death he was the owner of a valuable farming property of two hundred and ten acres. Energy and industry characterized him in all of his undertakings and his work was attended with a gratifying measure of success. His entire life was given to general farming and he never sought to figure prominently in any public connection, but his diligence and determination in business brought good results and he was accounted one of the representative residents of his community.
In 1849 Mr. De Moulpied was united in marriage to Miss Ann Alinda Hosmer, a daughter of John and Lura Hosmer. To them were born six children, as follows: Eliza, who gave her hand in marriage to John Emerson; Mary, the wife of Edwin Noble; Martin, who is deceased and lies buried in Galveston; Thomas, residing in Michigan, who wedded Miss Lavina Johnson, who passed away leaving three children; Lura, the wife of Edwin Bishop, of Racine, by whom she has one child; and John Albert.
In his political views Mr. De Moulpied was an earnest republican from the organization of the party and he served as a member of the town board and also as a member of the school board. He passed away in the year 1875 and for almost a quarter of a century his wife survived, her death occurring in 1899. Thus passed to the home beyond two of the valued pioneer residents of the County. They were members of the Freewill Baptist church at Mygatts Corners and were highly esteemed by all who knew them, their many good qualities winning for them merited regard.