L. C. Christensen is one of the extensive land owners of Racine County, his holdings embracing more than five hundred acres, much of which he now rents, but gives personal supervision to the further cultivation and improvement of a tract of eighty acres, on which he conducts a large wholesale and retail live stock business. There is something stimulating in the life record of such a man as Mr. Christensen, who owes his success to his own efforts, his record proving what may be accomplished when energy and ambition point out the way. He was born in Norway Township, this County, April 13, 1883, a son of N. M. and Marie (Larson) Christensen, both of whom were natives of Denmark. The father arrived in Racine County when a young mar; and purchased land in Norway Township, whence he removed to Raymond Township in 1884, becoming owner there of an excellent tract of one hundred and eighty acres, of which he cleared and developed one hundred and fifty acres. He built good buildings upon the place and added other modern improvements. He was married twice, Marie Larson becoming his second wife, and when he married a second time he had only money enough to pay the preacher. His success was all acquired after that, yet before his death he had become one of the substantial and prosperous citizens of his community. His life, moreover, was ever upright and honorable, being in consistent harmony with his professions as a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. In politics he was a republican.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Reared to farm life, L. C. Christensen pursued his education in the public schools and when but fifteen years of age began dealing in live stock, since which time he has continued active in that business. He slaughters and sells meat to the Racine market and is also a large shipper to Chicago. For fourteen years he has made weekly trips to Racine with dressed meat. His life has been one of unfaltering industry and as the years have gone on he has won a very substantial measure of success, owing to his careful management and keen business sagacity. From time to time he has made judicious investments in property until his holdings now embrace five hundred and two-thirds acres of land. From the greater part of this he derives a substantial rental and upon the eighty-acre tract, which he reserves for personal cultivation and improvement, he raises the crops best adapted to soil and climatic conditions here. He conducts an extensive dairy business on a farm of two hundred and fifty-seven acres at Franksville, Wisconsin, and the remainder of his farm lands is used for live stock purposes. In business affairs he displays sound judgment and unfaltering enterprise and whatever he has undertaken he has carried forward to successful completion.
In 1905 Mr. Christensen was married to Miss Bertha M. Fredrickson, a daughter of Peter Fredrickson, an early settler of Raymond Township, arriving there in his boyhood, so that a part of his education was there acquired. He became a, successful and well-to-do farmer and is now living retired in Racine. Mr. and Mrs. Christensen have become parents of two sons: Norman, ten years of age, and Harold, aged six.
The family attends the Baptist church and Mr. Christensen gives his political support to the Republican Party. He is yet a young man, but many a one twice his years might well envy the position to which he has attained and the success which he has acquired. He seems to readily recognize the correct value of any business situation and he has so used his time and opportunities that he has gained a place among the most substantial farmers of Racine County.