Charles V. McAvoy, secretary-treasurer of the Wisconsin Auto Top Company, was born in Racine, April 12, 1889, a son of Anthony and Alice (Bowers) McAvoy. The father, who was a native of Ireland, came to Racine in 1866 and for a long period was connected with the industrial development of the city as proprietor of a wagon and carriage plant, but later lived retired to the time of his death, which occurred March 11, 1914. His widow still survives. Mr. McAvoy was for a number of year’s supervisor and was otherwise prominently connected with public affairs in the community. He held membership in St Rose Catholic church, to which Mrs. McAvoy still belongs, and he was a member of the Royal Arcanum, the Royal League, the Knights of Columbus, the Knights of America and the Knights of Wisconsin.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Charles V. McAvoy. educated in the public and high schools of his native city, afterward spent two years in newspaper work and in January, 1910, became one of the organizers of the Wisconsin Auto Top Company, its first officers being: Anthony McAvoy, president; E. P. McAvoy, vice president; C. V. McAvoy, secretary; and M. I. McAvoy, treasurer. Upon the death of Anthony McAvoy Mrs. McAvoy was elected president of the company. Their plant is located at Seventeenth and South Hamilton Avenue, where they have two buildings, each forty by one hundred and twelve feet. They manufacture a full line of covers for automobiles and the plant turns out equipment for thirty thousand automobiles per year, its output being twice that of any other factory of similar size in the United States. The product is sold all over this country and abroad and the covers are mostly made from rubberized fabrics. They sell to the jobbers and dealers, keeping no traveling salesmen, and they have shipped their goods to every country in the world. Today they employ about sixty people and the business is one of the growing manufacturing concerns of the city. In addition to the Wisconsin Auto Top Company Charles V. McAvoy and his two brothers, F. J. and H. S., are managers of the London Auto Supply Company of Chicago, manufacturers of automobile bodies, the business being managed by the two brothers of C. V. McAvoy. Another brother, J. A. McAvoy, is owner of the London Limousine Company, of New York, manufacturers of limousine bodies, and all of these brothers have branched out in their business interests through the old carriage manufacturing business, keeping up with the changes in the times brought about through the supplanting of the carriage by the motor car. They have been ready to recognize and grasp an opportunity and thus have advanced to the goal of success.
On the 25th of March, 1915, Mr. McAvoy was married to Miss Josephine Artmaier, of Racine, a daughter of John and Marie Artmaier. Mr. and Mrs. McAvoy are members of St.. Rose Catholic Church and Mr. McAvoy holds membership with the Elks.