HON. WM. F. KEADY. – “The pen is mightier than the sword;” and the editor is greater than the captain. He is not simply a gossip and talker, but a thinker. The man who has grown up in a newspaper office can make his way in the world wherever a way is possible, and becomes a pillar in society.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
This is the case with Mr. Keady, who was born in Washington county, Pennsylvania, in 1821. He learned the printer’s trade, and entered the printing office of the Iroquois Journal at Middleport, Illinois, in 1852. Within six months he was half owner of the paper, and at length purchased the entire interest. He conducted this publication four years, until the formation of the Republican party, of which he became an active supporter. Having conducted his paper as a Democratic organ, he found it necessary now to sell it out, but continued living in Middleport until 1867. Entering the newspaper business once more, he purchased a half interest in the Kankakee Gazette, staying with it two years, and, after a short residence in Iroquois county, purchased a job office in Kankakee, Illinois, and published The Times continuously for twelve years.
In 1881 he felt the drift towards the Pacific coast, and upon reaching Olympia, and observing its beautiful residences and extensive views, felt no inclination to go farther, but there set his stakes, and has since remained. He was elected justice of the peace soon after his arrival, and has held the office continuously. As school director he has interested himself deeply in educational matters. He has a delightful residence; and his situation is in all respects enviably comfortable. He is also deputy clerk of the district court, second judicial district.
His first wife, Martha J. Patton, died in Illinois in 1853, leaving four children, George B., William P., now a prominent citizen of Portland; Mrs. Mary L. Burntrager; and Annie, deceased. In 1856 he was married to Miss Elizabeth Burntrager. They have two children living, – Mrs. Ida M. Bolton, of Vancouver, British Columbia, and Herbert C., of Olympia.