GEORGE W. JUDD. Left an orphan at the age of fourteen years, the boyhood and youth of George W. Judd, now a substantial farmer of Monroe Township and the owner of 160 acres of land on the Elwood. and Alexandria road, about three miles west of Alexandria, were anything but periods of inactivity. From the beginning of his career he has known the necessity of hard, industrious toil, and although he is now in comfortable circumstances because of this persevering toil, he continues to be one of the active and energetic men of his locality, alert not only in his personal affairs but in those of his community as well, George W. Judd was born on a farm in Adams Township, Madison County, Indiana, March 18, 1852, and is a son of James and Margaret (Young) Judd, His father was a native of North Carolina and came to Madison County as a young man, locating first in Adams Township, where he owned a property, Here he continued to till the soil during the remainder of his career, and passed away when still in the prime of life, He married Margaret Young and they became the parents of two children: Emma, who became the wife of William G. Fesler, of Monroe Township and she is now deceased; and George W. The Young family originated in Scotland, and was founded in Madison County by the father of Mrs. Judd, who located first in Ohio, later removed to Fayette County, Indiana, and came from there to Madison County, locating on a Monroe Township property, where he died, Mr. Young married Jane McLucas, and they became the parents of ten children, as follows: Malinda, Nancy, Mary, one who is deceased, Robert, John, George, William, Leroy and Margaret.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
George W. Judd was three years of age when brought to Monroe Township, and here received his education in the Orestes and Davis schools. He was fourteen years of age when his mother died, and at that time he went to live at the home of an uncle, on whose farm he worked until becoming of age. He then engaged in farming with an uncle renting a small property until he had saved the means to purchase a forty-acre tract of land in Boone Township, but two years later disposed of his interests there and returned to Monroe Township, where he located on his present farm, formerly a part of the Nathan Lowry property. Here from time to time he has made valuable and substantial improvements to his land, machinery and buildings, and his residence is a fine and modern one, having been erected but a few years ago, The excellent condition of his land testifies eloquently to his ability as an agriculturist, and he has met success also in his stock raising ventures, his cattle commanding good prices, As a business man he is known to be possessed of the strictest integrity, and his connection with various large transactions has given him a firmly-established reputation in the confidence of his fellow-citizens.
On February 8, 1880, Mr. Judd was married (first) to Miss Ella Black, who died February 10, 1882, and was buried in the Lily Creek cemetery. On July 9, 1892, occurred Mr. Judd’s second marriage, when he was united with Miss Etta M. Moyer. To this union there have been born two children: Everett and Mary, both graduates of the Orestes High school and now living at home, Mr. and Mrs. Judd are faithful members of the Disciples of Christ, and have been liberal in their support of movements inaugurated by the Christian church, Mr. Judd holds membership. in the Madison County Horse Thief Association.