E. Y. Salmon, M. D., was born in the “Palmetto State,” on the 26th of June, 1830. His father, William H. Salmon, was a physician and immigrated to Alabama in 1833, and afterward removed to Texas in 1863, where he died. He was identified with public interest in Alabama, and held the office of clerk, for twenty four years. The mother died in Texas at an advanced age.
Our subject was reared in Alabama, and resided with his parents until nineteen years of age. He volunteered to serve in the Mexican war in 1846, but peace was declared before he reached the Army. He went to California in 1849, and mined for eighteen months, and then engaged in trading. In 1854 he returned to Alabama then went to Texas, where he studied medicine for two years, and then entered the medical department of the University of Tennessee, and graduated in 1857. He practiced in Lynchburg until 1861, when he organized the first company that was organized in the state, which took the name of the Lynchburg Rangers, Company E. He served in Turney’s First Tennessee, as sergeant and captain. After his return, he practiced at Lynchburg until 1872, when he was made clerk and master of the Chancery Court of Moore County, two terms. In 1882, he removed to Nashville, where he was engaged in the manufacture of veterinary medicines, which he has continued ever since. His summer home is in Lynchburg, where he is one of the most popular citizens.
He and Margaret Taylor were married in 1858, and of the six children born to them, one is dead: Betty F. (wife of Dr. J. C. Franklin, of Nashville), Eliza B., William T., Nannie B., and H. Carrie are those living. Dr. Salmon and his family are members of the Christian Church, and he is a firm democrat in politics.