JUDGE M.V. HARRISON. – This early builder of Arlington, Oregon, and highly esteemed gentleman, was born in West Virginia in December, 1857, and in 1865 accompanied his parents to Indiana. He enjoyed educational advantages in a graded school at Dayton, gaining a good foundation for his later studies. In 1877 he began reading law under J.R. Carnahan at Lafayette, Indiana, but after a year abandoned this project and formed the purpose of learning the requirements and forms of mercantile life, and in pursuance of this plan accepted a position as clerk in a store.
In 1880 he sought a larger life upon our Pacific coast and came hither, locating in the Yakima country. The following year he undertook the hard and adventurous trip back across the Rocky Mountains as one of the drovers of a band of cattle to Cheyenne. In the fall of 1882 he returned to our coast, locating at Arlington, where he opened a store, having an excellent assortment of goods, – the first stock of the kind placed in Arlington. In 1883 he disposed of this business and engaged with Mr. J.W. Smith, who had in the meantime brought in a very large stock of goods. In 1883 he established the hardware business, which he still manages with satisfactory results.
In his public relations, Mr. Harrison has been active and efficient. He has served as councilman in the city of Arlington ever since its incorporation, being at present a member of the board. In December, 1888, he was appointed county judge to fill the unexpired term of W.W. Steiwer. He is a member of the Democratic state central committee. The Judge has been one of the real fathers of Arlington, and one of the most active men to develop the vicinity and surrounding country, ever since there was an attempt in 1880 to build a city here upon the drifting sands by the bank of the Columbia.
He was married at Lafayette, Indiana, to Miss Sophia Gregory in 1882, and has two children, Dale V. and Lelah E.