JAMES N. McCLURE. – In the person of the gentleman of whom who now write, we have one of those men, who have passed almost their entire life in this county, and hence are familiar with its resources and advantages in every department. James N. McClure was born on January 2, 1858, in Eugene, Marion county, Oregon, whence six years later he came with his parents, Charles M. and Laura V. (Pierce) McClure, to this county and here he has received his education and grown to his present prominent position in the county, having manifested, in the long years in which he has moved in the business and social circles of this realm, an uprightness, born of sound principles, and integrity and worth coupled with sagacity, that have given him a very enviable prestige throughout the county and stamped him as one of its most substantial and worthy citizens.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
When he came to this county he made his home with his parents until 1887 and then launched out into the world in independent action. In 1886, he purchased his present home of one hundred and sixty acres, which is situated eight miles south from Lagrande. The farm is well improved and every where hears testimony to thrift and industry. He has one of the finest orchards in the county and is skillful in the production of the fruits of the soil, and in raising stock.
On January 2, 1887, the marriage of Mr. McClure and Miss Helen D., daughter of Mary A. Earl, was solemnized. They have been blessed with the advent of the following children. Harley E., Lucy, and Neal N. Mr. McClure is a member of the Modern Woodmen of American and is popular in these relations as well as in his associations generally. Mr. McClure is one of the oldest and best known citizens of the county as well as one of its progressive and substantial upbuilders whose efforts have been in the line of advancement constantly and whose wisdom and faithfulness commend him to every upright and honorable man who desires the advancement and welfare of all.