Audrey is a former post office located at the junction of the North Fork of the Burnt River and China Creek. About 3-1/2 miles south and east is a cemetery called Big Flat. It is reached by driving west of Hereford on State Highway No. 7 approximately 4 1/2 miles where a county road leads northwest to Whitney. The cemeter is off the county road to the right about 3 1/2/ miles from Highway No. 7.
Dr. Ulysses Grant Strieby homesteaded the land and donated approximately two acres for the cemetery. He also gave land about 400 feet south of the cemetery for a school, known as Big Flat School District No. 37.
The cemetery is in open sagebrush country. It is fenced with unpainted boards, is not maintained but does not need much care. There are three adults and four children buried here, as follows:
Axel, John Spent declining yrs at Koontz Ranch in Hereford; was near 80.
Barnett, Lemuel An old miner, probably 85 or so; spent his last yrs at Kings Ranch at Audrey.
Fleetwood, Asa b 1855; d 1906′ uncle of Orville Fleetwood of Baker, Ore.
Fleetwood, Marshall b 1905; d 1905; brother of Orville; lived only a few hours.
Fleetwood, Victor b 20 May 1917; d 10 Sep 1918; brother of Orville.
Hanby, Donald Vivian Son of Mr. & Mrs. Hershel; later of La Grande, Ore.
Mason, Baby Parents were Carl & May; d around 1905; parents then moved to Richland, Ore.
Our thanks to the Baker Family History Center for allowing us to use their copies of these cemetery records.