Baker City, Baker County, Oregon
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Kenneth Roy Alexander, 84, of Union and Pine Creek, died June 3, 2005, at the Grande Ronde Hospital in La Grande.
His funeral will be Tuesday at 11 a.m. at Daniels Chapel of the Valle, 1502 Seven St. in La Grande. Interment will follow at the Cove Cemetery.
Kenneth Roy Alexander was born April 25, 1921, at High Valley, Ore., the son of Roy and Delia (Ross) Alexander. Kenneth truly loved the outdoors and spent his early years building trails in the Eagle Caps. Mr. Alexander later enlisted in the U.S. Army and served during World War II. Upon his honorable discharge,
Kenneth returned to the Grande Ronde Valley where he met and married Betty (Cadwell).
Kenneth worked for Fir Pine Lumber as well as GI Hess lumber for many years before farming wheat and raising cattle in High Valley until 1971 when he moved to Oxbow. There he owned and operated the Hells Canyon Inn until 1995. He was an honorary member of the Cove Sportsman Club as well past member the La Grande Elks Lodge No. 433. Kenneth was an avid elk hunter and he enjoyed, fishing, gardening, baseball, going snowshoeing in the Minam and working with pack horses.
He is survived by his daughter and her spouse, Lanita and Jay Rasmussen of La Grande; brothers and sisters and their spouses: Harry and Mia Alexander of Oxbow, Leora Simmons of Cove, Shirley and Dave Fields of Cove, and Betty and Lavern Brant of Bend; three grandchildren; a niece, Delia Bowman of La Grande; a nephew, Jim Murchison of Cove; and other relatives and friends.
Mr. Alexander was preceded in death by his parents; his wife, Betty (Cadwell) Alexander; brothers, Ray Alexander and Virgil Alexander; and by a special friend, Donna Green.
Contributions in Mr. Alexander’s memory may be made to the Cove Sportsman Club in care of Daniels Chapel of the Valley, 1502 Seventh Street, La Grande, OR 97850. To view the obituary, leave a condolence or sign the guest book on-line, visit www.danielschapel.com.
Used with permission from: Baker City Herald, Baker City, Oregon, June 10, 2005
Transcribed by: Belva Ticknor