Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Martin E. Turner, who has been numbered among the able representatives of the legal fraternity at Eufaula for the past decade, is now practicing successfully as a member of the firm of Turner, Turner, Harley & Paris. His birth occurred in Columbia, Missouri, on the 2d of May, 1878, his parents being George W. and Elizabeth J. (Martin) Turner, both of whom were also natives of that state, where the father followed general agricultural pursuits throughout his entire business career. During the period of the Civil war he was captured while endeavoring to reach Price’s army and was incarcerated in Andersonville prison for a short time. He passed away on the 26th of November, 1893, but is still survived by his widow, who now resides in Oklahoma City.
Martin E. Turner was reared and educated o in his native city and obtained his professional training in the University of Missouri, from the law department of which institution he was graduated as a member of the class of 1897-98. For a year he practiced in Columbia, Missouri, and in 1901 removed to Blackwell, Oklahoma, where he capably filled the position of city attorney for four terms. Subsequently he took up his abode at Newkirk, Oklahoma, where he engaged in the practice of law as a member of the firm of Moss & Turner until 1908, when he made his way to Oklahoma City, there following his profession as a member of the firm of Turner, Moss & McInnis until 1911. The latter year witnessed his arrival in Eufaula, where he has remained throughout the intervening period of ten years and has been accorded a liberal client age that has come in recognition of his marked skill in the preparation of his cases and pronounced ability in the presentation of his cause. He practiced with his brother, Kirk B. Turner, under the firm style of Turner & Turner until 1920, when the present name was adopted because of the admission to the firm of H. B. Paris and J. G. Harley, formerly of McAlester. Martin E. Turner belongs to both the McIntosh County Bar Association and the Oklahoma State Bar Association. He is a prominent factor in financial circles as the vice president of the Oklahoma State Bank of Eufaula and also has farming interests, raises pure bred Duroc Jersey hogs and owns oil producing property.
On the 22d of December, 1915, Mr. Turner was united in marriage to Miss Vera L. Lane and they occupy an enviable position in social circles of the community. Mr. Turner takes an active part in politics as chairman of the democratic county central committee, doing everything in his power to promote party successes. Fraternally he is identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks at McAlester, while his religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Methodist Episcopal church. A capable lawyer, an astute business man and a progressive and public-spirited citizen, he has long been numbered among the leading and representative residents of Eufaula.