J. T. Shipman, a successful attorney of Bartlesville, where he has practiced continuously during the past fifteen years, is now associated with B. A. Lewis and is widely recognized as one of the able representatives of the legal profession in northeastern Oklahoma. He was born in Ashley County, Arkansas, on the 1st of February, 1874, and began his education in the common schools there, later pursuing a high school course at Hamburg, that state. Subsequently be became a student in Ouachita College at Arkadelphia, Arkansas, which institution conferred upon him the degree of Bachelor of Arts, while his professional training was received in the law department of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor, from which he was graduated with the class of 1906.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
In the same year he came to Oklahoma and opened an office in Bartlesville, here beginning the practice of law in partnership with W. T. Sidell, who is now deceased. Throughout the Period of his professional career he has devoted his attention strictly to civil law and his present associate is B. A. Lewis, the firm acting as attorneys for the National Oil & Development Company, the Dewey Portland Cement Company, Tyler & Company, the Central National Bank and the Security National Bank of Dewey. For four years, from 1911 until 1915, Mr. Shipman filled the office of County judge, making a most creditable and commendable record in that connection. He is likewise attorney for the Home Savings Loan Association of Bartlesville, which has assets of one million, five hundred thousand dollars and of which he is one of the directors. His clientage, which is now extensive and of an important character, has come to him in recognition of his pronounced ability in the handling of litigated interests.
On the 2d of June, 1910, Mr. Shipman was united in marriage to Miss Samuella McCorkle of Arkansas, and they occupy an enviable position in the social circles of Bartlesville and vicinity. Fraternally Mr. Shipman is identified with the Masons, being a past master and past high priest, and he also belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He gives his political allegiance to the Democratic Party but has never sought nor desired office outside the strict path of his profession. For two years he filled the office of city attorney, while at the present time he is acting as attorney for the board of education. His record both as a lawyer and citizen has been such as to commend him to the confidence and esteem of all who know him and the circle of his friends has constantly grown as the number of his acquaintances has increased.