From territorial days until the present the Rash family has been identified with the agricultural development of Oklahoma, and J. H. Rash is worthily sustaining the traditions of the name in this respect, being the owner of a well developed and modernly equipped farm property three miles west and two and one-half miles south of Wann, which in all of its appointments gives evidence of the progressive methods and enterprising spirit of the owner.
Mr. Rash was born in Buncombe county, North Carolina, May 4, 1875, his parents being R. T.. and Mary Malinda (Frisbie) Rash, who made their way to Indian Territory in 1899, during an early period in its settlement. They left North Carolina with the intention of locating in Washington territory, but when they reached Missouri, the father sold their railroad tickets and settled in Benton County, that state, purchasing a farm, upon which the family resided for five years. They then came to Indian Territory, establishing their home on the Big Caney river, half way between Bartlesville and Dewey. Here the father devoted his attention to general agricultural pursuits and also raised cattle and hogs, marketing his wheat at Coffeeville, Kansas. The parents are now living two and a half miles northeast of Dewey, on section 16, of which they own a part, this being within a ten-mile radius of where they first settled.
Although seventy-six years of age, the father is still active in the operation of his farther and the mother has reached the age of seventy years. To their union were born nine children: Nancy, now the wife of R. J. Surett, a farmer residing northeast of Copan; Frank, whose home is in the vicinity of Pittsburg, Kansas; J. H., of this review; R. M., who died June 30, 1918; Ellen, who passed away in Missouri in 1919; Leona, who married George Baker, a farmer living three miles north of Copan;. Alice, the wife of Frank English, who resides near Spokane, Washington; Bonnie, who married Wylie Halipeter, a farmer living two and a half miles north of Dewey ; and W. M., who wedded Norah Rogers, of Dewey, and is now residing east of Bartlesville, being employed by an oil company.
J. H. Rash came to this state the year following the arrival of his father and he has also devoted his life to agricultural pursuits, being now the owner of a highly developed farm of ninety acres located five and one-half miles southwest of Wann and five miles southeast of Copan. His home, a good substantial farmhouse, is situated on a hill, in the midst of a grove of oak trees, and commands a fine view of the surrounding country. He cultivates eighty acres of his land, growing oats, wheat and corn, and he also engages in breeding horses and mules. He has equipped his place with all of the newest devices in farm machinery, has erected commodious and substantial barns and other outbuildings and has become the owner of a well improved property, bringing to his activities an intelligent,, open mind and a keen interest in modern agricultural developments.
On the 12th of February, 1906, Mr. Rash was united in marriage to Miss Susie Baker and they have become the parents of three children, Beulah, Vernon and Sherman. Mr. Rash’s personal attributes are those which make for popularity, and he deserves classification with those enterprising and progressive men of this section whose labors have been influencing factors. in the agricultural development of the state, within whose borders he has made his home since pioneer times.