Biography of Charles H. Tully
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
choose a state:
Charles H. Tully, attorney at law in Eufaula, has not only gained an enviable position in the legal circles of the state but is prominently known in business and political circles as well. He has won the success he now enjoys as the result of his own intelligently directed efforts and is rightly entitled to the proud American title of self-made man. He was born in Russellville, Logan county, Kentucky, on the 19th of November, 1865, a son of Henry B. and America (Angell) Tully, also natives of that state. His father was one of the successful men of his day, winning wide-spread prominence as a promoter and builder. He owned considerable business property and thousands of acres of land in Kentucky and other states. Being particularly fond of horses, his hobby was breeding thoroughbreds and he owned the first fast trotting horse in Logan county. Mr. Tully lived at Russellville the greater part of his life and always in Logan county. He had extensive banking interests and always took a prominent and active part in politics. His death occurred in 1877 when but thirty-seven years of age. To his marriage six children were born, Charles H., whose name initiates this review, being the only son. The other children are: Carrie, deceased; Katie, living in Fort Worth, Texas; Lizzie, deceased; Lucy, a resident of Nevada, Missouri; and Mary, deceased.
In the acquirement of an education, Charles H. Tully attended the public schools of Russellville, Kentucky, and subsequently became a student in Bethel College there. In 1884 he went to Vernon county, Missouri, where for two years he worked on a farm and the following four years he taught school. On the 20th of September, 1889, he arrived in Eufaula, then in Indian Territory, and engaged in teaching school here for one year. At the termination of that time he clerked in the Patterson & Foley Mercantile store and subsequently bought a half interest in the business from James A. Patterson. Three years later he purchased the entire concern and several years thereafter he organized a stock company, conducting it for many years under the name of the Tully Mercantile Company. The business had a capital of one hundred thousand dollars fully paid up and Mr. Tully owned eighty-five per cent of the stock. He built up one of the most extensive mercantile establishments that was ever built in the Indian Territory and his trade extended one hundred miles west, fifty miles east, thirty miles north, and twenty miles south. He carried an enormous stock and endeavored to give his patrons the finest quality of goods at the most reasonable prices. Mr. Tully was active in that line of business until 1908, when he disposed of his interests, retaining his ownership of the store building, however. Although the management of such an extensive business made heavy demands upon his time, he studied law at nights and was admitted to practice before the federal court on the 12th of July, 1907. Prior to disposing of his mercantile business, he commenced the practice of his chosen profession and has since practiced here, being admitted to the bar of Oklahoma on the 2d of January, 1908. Mr. Tully has always remained a constant student of his profession and he has one of the finest law libraries in the state. His practice has grown to extensive proportions and he handles much important litigation before the courts. He maintains a well furnished office suite of five rooms in the Tully building. While in the mercantile business, Mr. Tully owned and conducted a livery stable, cotton gin, hotel and various other enterprises and in every undertaking achieved substantial success. He has invested heavily in real estate and owns farms and more business property than any other man in Eufaula. The rental from his city property alone brings him in an income of over ten thousand dollars a year. He likewise has one thousand acres of valuable farm land in this state. He was one of the dominant factors in the erection of the Electric Light Plant here and is still a stockholder and director in the company. He is likewise a stockholder and director in the Oklahoma State Bank and he was at one time director and Vice President of the First National Bank. Mr. Tully has one of the finest homes in this part of the state, containing twenty-two rooms. The cost of building and furnishing the home amounted to over thirty-five thousand dollars.
On the 23d of July, 1890, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. Tully to Miss Katie G. Foley and to their union four children have been born: May Gertrude, who died when but eighteen months old; Charles H., Jr., who died when two years of age; Naomi C., who was born on the 2d of October, 1899, and is a graduate of the Sacred Heart Academy at St. Louis. She is the wife of M. J. Roundtree of New York city and the mother of two children, Mary Naomi and Tully Josephine; and John Vincent, born on the 2d of January, 1902, who is living at home.
Since attaining his Majority Mr. Tully has given his political allegiance to the Democratic Party, having firm belief in the principles of that party as factors in good government. For two terms he served as mayor of Eufaula, was a member of the Democratic executive committee before statehood, was congressional committeeman and was offered the nomination for congress but refused to run. He likewise represented his party as a delegate to the Kansas City national convention. A stanch advocate of education, Mr. Tully has been a member of the board of education for years and he was the first President. Fraternally Mr. Tully is identified with the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks, being one of the original members of Muskogee Lodge, No. 517.
Out of the struggle with small opportunities Mr. Tully has come into a field of broad and active usefulness and influence and he may truly be called a self-made man, for he started out in the world empty-handed and has steadily worked his way upward through the wise use of his talents, his indefatigable energy and his sound judgment.