John B. Sanborn, a well-known citizen of Concord and a prominent New England stock-raiser, was born in the eastern part of Concord, April 1, 1831, son of Himan and Mary A. (Bean) Sanborn. His paternal grandfather, Tristram Sanborn, a native of the old Bay State and a farmer, moved to Boscawen, near Warner, bringing his wife and a few household goods on a sled drawn by a yoke of steers. There he settled on wild land, which he converted into a good farm and made his home for many years. Prior to the erection of the modern house the family dwelt in a log cabin, in the primitive fireplace of which it is told that one of the children received severe burns on his feet from the hot ashes. Tristram’s youngest son now owns the old homestead. There were five boys and five girls in the family.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Himan Sanborn received his education in the schools of his native town and at Boscawen. Upon reaching his majority, he walked to Boston, a long journey in those days, when the roads were poor and much of the country was unbroken. Upon arriving there, he secured work in a stable, and was employed there for a season. He then returned to Boscawen, married, and went to work on a farm. Finally, he bought a farm in East Concord, there spent the remainder of his life engaged in agriculture, and died at the age of eighty-three years. He did not aspire to civil preferment, but his ability and many virtues as a citizen could not pass unnoticed; and he was prevailed upon to serve the public in various capacities. He was Selectman, Councilman, and Alderman, as well as Justice of the Peace. His first wife, Mary A. (Bean) Sanborn, was a daughter of Abraham Bean, who was High Sheriff for many years. She bore him four children-Abram, Charles, John B., and Sarah A. A second marriage united him to Clarissa Batchelder, of Loudon, who bore him one son-Charles H., now living in Concord. His third marriage was contracted with Laura Jones, of Warner.
John B. Sanborn was sent to the district schools and later to Pembroke Academy. From early boyhood he worked on his father’s farm until he was twenty-one years old. Then he bought a farm, on which he has since resided. Besides erecting on it a fine brick residence, he has rebuilt the barns. He makes a specialty of raising thoroughbred Devon cattle and Shropshire and Southdown sheep. He now owns a thousand acres of land, all within six miles of the city. His first marriage was contracted with Miss Nancy Powers, of Alexandria, N.H., whose daughter by him, Sarah J., married William Sargent, and lives at Gilmanton. A second marriage united him to Hannah A. Stone, daughter of Amos Stone, of Boscawen. She bore him five children-John W., George, Frank P., Charles H., and Harley H. John married Clara Ames, and has one daughter, Mabel. George married Abbie Smith; and his children are-Clarence, Genella, and Percy H. Frank P. died some time ago. Charles married Hattie Housel, of Springfield, N.H.
Like his father, Mr. Sanborn has been prominent in town affairs. He has served in the City Council, and he was Assessor for two terms. In politics he is a Democrat, and he has been chairman of his ward committee for years. His first Presidential vote was cast in 1852 for Franklin Pierce. He and his sons are known all over New England, as they have exhibited their cattle at all the leading fairs for the last thirty-five years, and won a large number of premiums.