Levi Mead, son of Matthew, and a soldier in the Revolutionary war, came to this town from Lexington, Mass., about, 801, and occupied the next house south of the Tyler place, which he kept as a tavern. In 1816 he built the present tavern at the Center Village, long known as the “Mead tavern.”In 1802 he was appointed deputy-sheriff for Cheshire county, and held this. office many years. He died April 29, 1828. He nad born to him eight children, as follows: Levi, Joseph, James, Bradley, Larkin Goldsmith, Elias Marshall S., and Betsey R. Larkin G., born October 2, 1795, married Mary: J., daughter of Hon. John and Pclly (Haves) Noyes. He was educated the Chesterfield academy and at Dartmouth college, and then read law wi Hon. Phineas Handerson. For many years he was a prominent member the Cheshire bar. He removed to Brattleboro in 1839, when his son Larkin G- was but four years of age. The latter, born in Chesterfield, January 3 1835, is widely known as the “Vermont Sculptor.”
Biographical Sketch of Levi Mead
MLA Source Citation:Hurd, Duane Hamilton. History of Cheshire and Sullivan counties, New Hampshire. Philadelphia: J. W. Lewis. 1886. AccessGenealogy.com. Web. 24 May 2016.
https://www.accessgenealogy.com/new-hampshire/biographical-sketch-of-levi-mead.htm- Last updated on Aug 22nd, 2012
This page is part of a larger collection. Access the full collection at History of Cheshire County New Hampshire.