Biographical Sketch of Erastus Harris
Erastus Harris, from Medway, Mass., located in the southeastern part of Nelson, (now in Harrisville), at an early date. He was a carpenter, owned a large farm, and died in 1798, aged eighty-four years. His son, Bethuel, born in 1769, came on about 16 years later, and located at the village. His house was located just on the line between the two towns, though he voted in Nelson. He married Deborah Twitchell, reared ten children, and died in July, 1851. The part he took in the manufactures of the town. has already been spoken of. He was a major of militia, and held many of the town offices. Five of his ten children are now living, viz.: Lavell, born August 25, 1802, in Milford, N. H.; Charles C. P., born here August 20, 1807, has been a woolen manufacturer, postmaster since 1852, represented the town in 1867-’68, and has also held most of the other town offices; Mrs. Mary Hutchinson, of this town; Mrs. Sally Hayward, of Peterboro, N. H.; and Mrs. Lois Prouty, of Alstead.