Charles P. Mathewson, banker, was born in Windham County, Conn. The family removed to the Winnebago Agency, his father being appointed agent of the tribe; held this office four years. In 1869, they removed to Norfolk, and in company with Mr. Olney, engaged in merchandising. They also erected the Norfolk Mills, soon after coming here, which they have successfully operated since. He, with his brother, Mayor Joseph Mathewson, established this bank in 1872. This brick structure was erected in
1880, at a cost of about $5,000, and is occupied in part, for banking purposes. His brother entered the service, August 18, 1862, in Company D, Eighteenth Connecticut Infantry as First Lieutenant. He was afterward promoted Captain; was mustered out at the close of the war as Brevet Major, with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.