Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
The only Indian agency with reservations in Indian Territory proper is the Quapaw, situated northeast of the Cherokee nation. It contains many fragmentary tribes.
The Quapaw agency, Indian Territory, had its inception in a treaty made with the Quapaws of Arkansas, May 13, 1833. Numerous remnants of tribes were in the state of Arkansas or in the territory now the state of Kansas. Many of the tribes were removed from Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and New York in 1832-1833, and were located on lands west of the western boundary of the slates of Missouri and Arkansas, and north of the northern boundary of the present Indian Territory and lying in the east and southeast part of the present state of Kansas. (See map of “United States Indian frontier in 1840” for their several locations.) The various small tribes so located have almost all been removed to Indian Territory. Some of them are now in Oklahoma; a few, entirely civilized, are residing on their own lands in Kansas, and many are extinct or merged into the tribes with whom they are noted.
Offenses at Quapaw agency, Indian Territory, are tried in the United States court in the southern district of Kansas.
This agency is located on the Shawnee reservation, and embraces 160 acres of land located 4 miles west of Seneca, Missouri, and 20 miles south of Baxter Springs, Kansas, The tribes under this agency are the Eastern Shawnee, Miami, Modoc, Ottawa, Peoria, Quapaw, Seneca and Cayuga, and Wyandotte, and some small remants of other tribes.
The improvements consist of agent’s, physician’s, carpenter’s, and blacksmith’s residences, a hardware store, carpenter and blacksmith shops combined, jail, commissary building, and agent’s and physician’s offices combined, all in good repair and worth at least $6,000. There is a barn, with wagon sheds; there is also a farm connected with the agency, with good fences and about 70 acres of land in cultivation, mostly planted in corn. The employees consist of agent, clerk, physician, carpenter, fanner, blacksmith, and interpreter.
Names of Indian tribes or parts of tribes occupying the reservations: (a) Eastern Shawnee, Miami, Modoc, Ottawa, Peoria, Kaskaskia, Piankaskaw and Wea, Kwapaw, Seneca, and Wyandotte.
The reservations and unallotted areas are:
Eastern Shawnee Reservation: 13,048 acres, or 20.50 square miles; established, altered, or changed by treaties of July 20, 1831, 7 U. S. Stats., p. 351; of December 29, 1882, 7 U. S. State., p. 111; of February 23, 1867, 15 U. S. Stats,, p. 513,end agreement with Modocs, made June., 23, 1874 (see annual report, 1882, page 271), confirmed by Congress in Indian appropriation act approved March 3, 1875, 18 U. S.: Stats,, p. 447.
Peoria Reservation: 6,851 acres, or 10.75 square miles; established, altered, or changed by treaty of February 23, 1867, 15 U. S. State,, p. 514 the residue, 43,150 acres, allotted.
Modoc Reservation: 4,040 acres, or 6.25 square miles; established, altered, or changed by agreement with Eastern Shawnees made June 23, 1874 (see annual report, 1882, pages 271), and confirmed in Indian appropriation act approved March 3, 1875,18 U. S. Stats., p. 447.
Ottawa Reservation (of Blanchards Fork and Roche do Brea); 14,860 acres, or 23,25 square miles; established, altered, or changed by treaty of February 23, 1867, 15 U. S. Stats., p. 513.
Quapaw Reservation: 56,685 acres, or 88.5 square miles; established, altered, or changed by treaties of May 13, 1833, 7 U. S. February 23, 1867, 15 U. S. Stats., p. 513.
Seneca Reservation; 51,958 acres, or 81 square miles; established, altered, or changed by treaties of February 28, 1831, 7 U. S. Stats., p348; of December 29, 1832, 7 U. S. Stats., p., 411 and February 23, 1857, 15 U. S. Stats,, p. 513.
Wyandotte Reservation: 21,406 acres, or 33.50 square miles; established, altered, or changed February 23, 1860, 15 U. S. Stats., p. 513.
Reservations all surveyed.
Indian population 1890; Eastern Shawnees, 79; Miamis, 67; Modocs, 84; Ottawas, 187; Peorias, 160; Quapaw 154; Senecas and Cayugas, 255; Wyandots, 288; total, 1,224.