Aroniateka or Chief Hendrick was a Mohawk of the Village of Canajoharie in the Mohawk Valley. In 1618 the Mohawks and other nations of the Iroquois Confederacy made a treaty with the Dutch of Manhattan. When the English took over the Dutch Colony the Treaty of Friendship and Mutual Aid was carried on to these people. The Mohawks, for over three hundred years, held fast to this treaty of friendship, their people considering it a disgrace to ever violate a sacred covenant. In no so-called civilized country can one find a parallel steadfast faith. They fought fiercely and unwaveringly upon the side of the English because of the treaty made so many years before. In 1755, two thousand French soldiers under General Dieskau attempted to invade the Colony of New York by way of Lake George. General William Johnson requested the aid of Chief Hendrick and his Mohawks. He also asked and took the advice of the Mohawk Chief as to how to best defeat the French. The Mohawk Chief joined the English army which met the French at Lake George. At the battle which took place, Sept. 8, 1755, the brave chief and many of his followers were killed. The Mohawks won the fight however and saved the infant colony of New York. Today, in sight of the Lake, there stands a large monument in honor of this Mohawk Chief and William Johnson.
Leaving the Lake George Battlefield the Mohawks headed south following the old Warrior Path that led to the Mohawk Country. They were told by their leader that a little way to the west of the monument to Aroniateka was a place called Palmers Falls on the upper Hudson River and that near this place the Americans had a blockhouse during the Revolutionary War, a blockhouse which was garrisoned entirely by Oneida Indians. It was the only outpost fort in New York State that the Americans had north of the Mohawk Valley at the time. Following the trail south the warriors soon came to Saratoga, once a well known Indian section. Because of its healing springs this region was sacred to old Mohawks. Not far from the trail the warriors visited a sacred spring known to their forefathers.