Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
The following tribes at one time are recorded in history as having resided within the present state of Idaho. If the tribe name is in bold, then Idaho is the primary location known for this tribe, otherwise we provide the tribes specifics as it pertains to Idaho and then provide a link to the main tribal page.
- Bannock Indians
- Kalispel Indians
- Kutenai Indians. This tribe occupied the extreme northern part of Idaho.
- Nez Percé Indians
- Paiute, Northern. Indians of this group entered the southwestern part of Idaho at times. (See Nevada.)
- Palouse. This tribe extended up the Palouse River into Idaho. (See Washington.
- Salish, or Flathead. The present State of Idaho was visited to some extent by Indians of this tribe. (See Montana.)
- Northern Shoshoni Indians
- Western Shoshoni Indians
- Skitswish Indians
- Snakes, see Paiute, Northern.
- Spokan. The Spokan extended a few miles into this State along its western boundary. (See Washington.)