A complete listing of all the Indian villages, towns and settlements as listed in Handbook of Americans North of Mexico.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Hanocoucouaij. A village on the E. coast of Florida, N. of C. Canaveral, in the 16th century. De Bry, Brev. Nar. n, map,1591.
Hapaluya. A former large village in upper Florida, visited by De Soto in 1539. Gentl. of Elvas (1557) in French, Hist. Coll. La., n, 133, 1850.
Hatchcalamocha. A former Seminole village near Drum swamp, 18 m. w. of New Mickasuky town; probably in the present Lafayette co., Fla. H. R. Ex. Doc. 74 (1823), 19th Cong., 1st sess., 27, 1826.
Helicopile. A village, named after a chief, on lower St Johns r., Fla., in 1564, probably belonging to Saturiwa’s confederacy.
Hiamonee. A former Seminole village 5 m. from the Georgia boundary, on the E. bank of Okloknee r., probably on the present L. Lamony, Leon co., Fla.
Hicaranaou. An ancient Timuquanan village in N. Florida. De Bry, Brev. Nar., n, map, 1591.
Hiocais. A former village, governed by a female chieftain, situated 12 leagues N. of Charlefort, the French fort on St Johns r., Fla., in the 16th century.
Hirrihigua. A province and town, presumably Timuquanan, on the w. coast of Florida, on or near Tampa bay, where De Soto landed in May, 1539. Possibly the same as Ucita.
Hitchapuksassi. A former Seminole town about 20 m. from the head of Tampa bay, in what is now Hillsboro co., Fla.
Hitchitipusy. A former village, probably Seminole, a few miles s. E. of Ft Alabama, and the same distance N. E. of Ft Brooke, both of which forts were on Hillsboro r., Fla. H. R. Doc. 78, 25th Cong., 2d sess., 768-9, map, 1838.
Homolua. A former Timucua village, situated, according to Laudonnière, on the s. side of St Johns r., Fla., at its mouth, in 1564. De Gourgues placed a town of similar name about 60 leagues inland on the same river.
Homosassa (abundance of pepper). A Seminole town in Hernando co., Fla., in 1837. There are now a river and a town of the same name in that locality.
Hurriparacussi. A village near which De Soto landed from Tampa bay, Fla., in 1539. According to Gatschet the name is properly the title of the principal chief, from two Timucua words signifying war chief.