Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Born April 26, 1835, in Monroe County, Illinois, he is the eldest son of James B. Needles, of the State of Delaware, his mother being a Talbott, from Virginia. Thomas went to the public schools until eighteen years of age, when he entered his father’s mercantile establishment at Richview, Illinois, clerking with him until 1860, when he opened business on his own responsibility at Nashville, Illinois. In 1861 he was elected clerk of Washington County (same State), and held the office sixteen years, after which (in 1876) he was elected State Auditor for Illinois, and held the office four years, after which he was called to the State Senate from Washington County, in 1876, and enjoyed the honor of representing his constituency for eight years. About this time he became president of the Washington County Bank, which office he still retains. In March 1889, he was appointed United States Marshal for the Indian Territory by President Harrison, which position he holds at present. In1861 Mr. Needles married Miss Sarah L. Bliss, of Richmond, Illinois, by whom he has two daughters, Jessie (now Mrs. Genung, of Muskogee) and Winnifred. For the past twenty years Mr. Needles has been a prominent politician, and was a member of the Republican State Central Committee for several years. He is a member of the Odd Fellows, Nashville Lodge No. 37 — was Grand Master of the State in 1870, and represented the State as Grand Representative of the Grand Lodge of the United States for four years. He has been Grand Treasurer of the Grand Lodge for several years, and holds that office at present. He is also a Free Mason of old standing, and has taken the Knight Templar degree in that institution. United States Marshal Needles is a handsome, intellectual-looking gentleman, possessing great executive ability, as well as personal magnetism. He is five feet seven inches in height and weighs 170 pounds. His home is in Warrensville, Illinois, where his family reside, while his offices are now situated in the Court House building, Muskogee, Indian Territory.