A complete listing of all the Indian villages, towns and settlements as listed in Handbook of Americans North of Mexico.
Babacomero. A former rancheria, probably of the Papago, on the w. branch of Rio San Pedro, between Tombstone and Camp Huachuca, s. Ariz. Box, Adventures, 322, 1869.
Babisi. A former rancheria, probably of the Sobaipuri, at the s. boundary of Arizona, near Suamca, of which it was a visita.
Baguiburisac. A rancheria, probably Maricopa, visited by Kino and Mange in 1699; apparently near the Rio Gila in s. w. Ariz. Mange (1699) quoted by Bancroft, Ariz, and N. Mex., 358, 1889.
Baicadeat. A former rancheria, evidently of the Sobaipuri, on Rio San Pedro, s. Ariz.; it was visited by Father Kino about 1697, and became a visita of the mission of Suamca about 1760-67.
Bat House. A ruined pueblo of the Hopi, probably so named from its having been built and occupied by the Bat clan; situated on the x. w. side of Jeditoh valley, N. E. Ariz., on part of the mesa occupied by the Horn House. See 8th Rep. B. A. E., 52, 1891.
Batni (a gourd vessel in which sacred water is carried; also the name of a spring where sacrificial offerings are de posited. Fewkes). According to Stephen the site of the first pueblo built by the Snake people of the Hopi; situated in Tusayan, x. E. Ariz., but the exact location is known only to the Indians. It is held as a place of votive offerings during the ceremony of the Snake dance. Batni. Stephen in 8th Rep. B. A. E., 18, 1891.
Bithahotshi (Navaho: red place on top, referring to the color of the sand stone rocks) The name of a mesa, and, by extension, of a valley in which a trading store is situated, about half-way between Holbrook and the Hopi villages in N. E. Arizona. The name is sometimes employed to designate a group of ancient pueblo ruins in and near the valley.
Buena Vista. A prehistoric pueblo ruin on a high bluff near Solomonsville, on Gila r. , a few miles N. E. of San Jose, Graham co. , s. E. Ariz. It is probably the ruin which gave the name Pueblo Viejo (q. v.) to this part of Gila valley. Fewkes in 22d Rep. B. A. E., 172, 1904.
Busac. A former rancheria, probably of the Sobaipuri, visited by Kino about 1697; situated, apparently on Arivaipa cr., a tributary of the San Pedro, E. of old Camp Grant, s. Ariz., although Bernal (Bancroft, Ariz. and N. Mex., 356, 1889) states that the settlement was on a creek flowing E.
Busanic. A Pima settlement s. w. of Guevavi, near the Arizona-Sonora boundary, in lat. 31º 10′, long. 111º 10′, W, visited by Kino in 1694 and by Kino and Mange in 1699. It was made a visita of Guevavi mission at an early date; pop. 253 in 1 730, 41 in 1764. See Kino (1694) in Doc. Hist. Mex., 4th s., i, 252, 1856; Rudo Ensayo (1763), 150, 1863; Mange quoted by Bancroft, Ariz, and N. Mex., 358, 1889.
This site includes some historical materials that may imply negative stereotypes reflecting the culture or language of a particular period or place. These items are presented as part of the historical record and should not be interpreted to mean that the WebMasters in any way endorse the stereotypes implied .
Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico, Frederick Webb Hodge, 1906