REV. WILLIAM J. FULTON. The career of this gentleman is one well worthy the respect of all, for he has for many years labored faithfully for the good of others, and on many occasions has cast aside personal considerations in order to do this. He was born in Robertson County, Tennessee,, November 26, 1840, and was there reared and educated.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
His parents, William and Elizabeth (Chapman) Fulton, were also born in that State, the birth of the former occurring in 1809. He was a son of Ira Fulton, who was one of the very early pioneers of the State. William Fulton followed farming in Tennessee, until 1851, when he moved to Greene County, Missouri, and located on a farm where he lived until his death, which occurred October 1, 1891. He was a successful farmer and stockraiser, and in politics was a Republican. His wife died in 1880 at the age of sixty-five years, after having become the mother of eight children, four of whom are living: William J. Fulton; Rebecca A., who was first the wife of John Morrisett, and after his death the wife of David Cinnamon, or Webster County; Christopher C., who owns a good farm nine miles southeast of Springfield, Missouri; Benjamin A., resides on the old homestead, is a man of family and a farmer by occupation; Mary; Amanda, and two infants deceased. The mother of these children was a worthy member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
The subject of this sketch has resided in Missouri since he was eleven years of age and obtained his education in this State and Tennessee. After starting out in life for himself he followed school teaching for six years in Greene, Christian and Douglas Counties, and was then called to the ministry and connected himself with the General Baptist Church. He has been engaged in his ministerial duties for the past fifteen years, and is located near Rome, Douglas County, Missouri, and attends the church near Arno, but preaches at other points. He has done noble service for the Master, and has increased the membership of his church very greatly. He resides on a farm about twelve miles from Ava, comprising 160 acres, and is one of the successful and prosperous farmers of the county. In 1861 he enlisted in the Home Guards, but in 1862 became a member of the Eighth Missouri Cavalry. with which he served until July 20, 1865, as first corporal of Company E. He was at the battles of Prairie Grove, Brownsville, Little Rock and Duvall’s Bluff, but owing to sickness, did not serve regularly.
He is a stanch Republican in politics, a member of the G. A. R., and belongs to Freeport Post No. 307. He has always been active in politics, is prominent in the affairs of the county, and is a member of Ava Lodge No. 26 of the A. F. & A. M., and I. O. O. F., Douglas Lodge No. 319. He was married in Christian County to Miss Sarah J. Stubbs, a daughter of Robert and Arnetta (Friend) Stubbs, both of whom are deceased. Mrs. Fulton was born in Christian County, Missouri, in 1845, and she and her husband have nine children: William R., is a man of family and a farmer of this county; Leota; Aaron N., is a man of family and resides in Greene County, Missouri; Sarah E.; Amanda A.; Isham C., died at the age of three years; Della L.; Benjamin H. and Marvela. Mr. Fulton is a public-spirited gentleman, and is a useful, law-abiding citizen.