Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
N. G. Dillon was born in Benton township, Daviess county, Missouri, January 27, 1845. His father, William Dillon, was born in Ohio, but removed to Illinois when quite young and in the year 1838 came to Missouri, and located about six -miles north of Pattonsburg: thus he stands entitled to the honor of being one of the first pioneers of Daviess county. His mother, Lydia Dillon, nee Poe, was born in Tennessee, but married William Dillon in Illinois, and shortly afterwards the young couple came to Missouri and located in this county and selected for themselves out of the then wilderness a tract of land which they have converted into a beautiful home and where they reared their family, the subject of this sketch being the eldest of the only two now living. His brother, Seth, who is a minister of the Missionary Baptist Church in Gentry county, being the other son. The mother died April 28, 1880, on the old homestead where she had lived for over forty years, and the father is still living and making his home with his children. The subject of our sketch was educated at Grand River College and there qualified himself for the profession of teaching and subsequently taught in this and Harrison county.
On February 28th, 1868, he was united in marriage to Miss Sarah E. Safer, a native of Illinois. Her parents came to Missouri when she was quite young and they are now living in Harrison county. The father of Mrs. Dillon, James E. Safer, is a well known minister in the Free Will Baptist Church and is now laboring in Harrison county. Mr. and Mrs. Dillon have become the parents of six children, three of whom are still living; viz., Walter; born July 24. 1873; Jesse, born March 14, 1875; and Bessie, born in Feb. ruary, 1877. The family are all members of the Baptist Church.
In the year 1873 Mr. Dillon and family went to Butler county, Kansas, and remained two years, but grasshoppers, drouth, and cyclones caused him, to return and now he is permanently located in business in Pattonsburg. He first started in business in Hampton, Harrison county, and remained three years. He owns a nice little farm, besides his town residence and business house, which he keeps well filled with a well selected stock of goods, and by his straight forward manner of dealing is winning many customers and friends.