Biography of J. M. Haworth
J. M. HAWORTH. The locality in which Forsyth is situated is indeed fortunate in having among its citizens such a man as Mr. Haworth is conceded to be, for his connection with the interests of the county, both as a minister of the Gospel, business man and agriculturist, has proven of much benefit and influence. He inherits much of his energy and push from his Irish ancestors, his grandfather having been a native of the Emerald Isle, and having emigrated to the United States at a period antedating the Revolutionary War, in which he served with distinction. He took up land in North Carolina and there passed the remainder of his days. His son, McCogie Haworth, was born in the Old North State in 1797, but left that State with his parents and emigrated to Wilson County, Tennessee From there he subsequently moved to Parke County, Indiana, but later returned to Tennessee, where he remained until 1853, when he came to this county. Here his death occurred in 869. He was a blacksmith and wagon maker by trade and ran a shop in Taney County a number of years. He was also a farmer, owning a good tract of land in this county, the same being now owned by his sons, and he became well off. He selected his wife in the person of Miss Edna Winn, a native of Virginia, born in 1812, and the daughter of both a Revolutionary and War of 1812 soldier. She died in this county in 1872, after having been a lifelong and earnest member of the Missionary Baptist Church. Mr. and Mrs. Haworth were the parents of the following children: Benjamin F., who died in 1873, was a man of a family and resided in Ballard County, Kentucky; Joseph L., who died in Ballard County, Kentucky, in 1880, was also married; Telitha, widow of Jacob Nave, of Boone County, Arkansas, is living on a farm; Jonas R., a soldier in the Confederate Army, was killed in Boone County, Arkansas, in 1865; Martha A., the wife of W. E. Moore, resides on a farm in this county; Mary E., is the wife of Benjamin Johnson, of Taney County; Richard M. J. died when young; J. F. deceased, was the wife of W. E. Moore; Sarah Margaret, who died young; an infant died unnamed; our subject, and another infant. The Haworth family settled on White River after coming to this country, and there the father became the owner of 120 acres of land.
The original of this notice was born in Parke County, Indiana, April 6, 1835, and as his parents returned to Tennessee he received a limited education in the schools of Wilson County, that State. He began his career as a farmer in Ballard County, Kentucky, in 1856, and remained there until 1865, when he came back to Taney County and made his home with his parents. After their deaths he bought a farm about a mile from town, and in 1884 engaged in the milling business. Later he sold out and in 1887 became connected in business with Parrish Boswell, and still continues with this firm. He owns a good farm on White River, below town, and in connection with agricultural pursuits is engaged in stockraising. He is now residing in Forsyth. In politics he is a Democrat. He has held the office of justice of the peace, was appointed associate judge of the West District, and in 1876 he was elected to the Twenty-ninth General Assembly. Mr. Haworth was made a Mason in Kentucky, and is a member of Forsyth Lodge No. 453. He is an elder in the Christian Church, and one of the useful and representative citizens. While residing in Kentucky he was married to Miss Mary E. Howell, who was born in Wilson County, Tennessee, in 1838, and who was a daughter of Caleb and Margaret Howell, early settlers of Tennessee. The father was born in Virginia, and was a soldier in the War of 1812. He was a farmer and spent his entire life in following that pursuit, dying in Kentucky in 1856. His widow died in Kentucky in 1864. Mr. and Mrs. Haworth have no children of their own, but they reared two orphan children: John Haworth, son of Benjamin Haworth, and William Bell. They are now rearing another child, Benton . Mr. and Mrs. Haworth are prominent in church work and are excellent citizens.