Dr. Alexander E. Horwitz, surgeon, with offices in the University Club building of St. Louis, was born September 25, 1879, at Memel in East Prussia, Germany. His father, Robert Horwitz, came from Germany to America in 1881 and is now living retired in St. Louis. He married Sophia Sachs, who came from Germany, and to them were born seven children, four sons and three daughters.
Alexander E. Horwitz, the fourth in order of birth, was educated in the public and high schools of St. Louis and in the Washington University, from which he was graduated in 1900, winning the Bachelor of Arts degree. He then entered upon preparation for the medical profession and completed a course in the medical department of Washington University in 1.904, at which time the M. D. degree was conferred upon him. He was then intern at the St. Louis Female Hospital for one year and for the next year did clinical work at Washington University. He spent two years, from 1906 to 1908, at Harvard University and there gained the Master of Arts degree in orthopedic surgery upon graduation in 1908. During the succeeding year he was in Europe, studying orthopedic surgery in Berlin and Vienna.
In 1909 Dr. Horwitz took up private practice with offices in the Metropolitan building in St. Louis. He has since continued to devote his attention to private practice to the present time with notable success and now has a fine suite of rooms in the University Club building. He is assistant professor at the St. Louis University Medical School and has been head of the department of orthopedic surgery since 1913. He is likewise orthopedic surgeon for St. John’s Hospital, the City Hospital, St. Anthony’s Hospital, the Jewish Home for Chronic Invalids and the St. Louis Maternity Hospital. He has gained notable skill and efficiency in the Geld of orthopedic surgery and stands among the eminent representatives of the profession in the line of his specialty.
During the war Dr. Horwitz served on the advisory medical board, No. 1, throughout the entire period of America’s connection with hostilities in Europe and he subscribed liberally to various war activities. lie belongs to the St. Louis Medical Society, the Missouri State and the American Medical Associations, the American College of Surgeons and the Association of Surgeons and thus keeps in close touch with the advanced thought and purposes of the profession.
On the 3d of March, 1912, Dr. Horwitz was married in St. Louis to Miss Dora Prinz, and they have become parents of three children: Nathan, born February 20,1915; and Marvin and Ralph, twins, born July 21, 1918.
Dr. Horwitz Is well known in the Phi Beta Phi, a college fraternity, and also as a Mason, having membership in St. Louis Lodge, No. 20, A. F. & A. M., and also in Missouri Consistory, No. 1, A. A. S. R., in which he has attained the thirty-second degree of the Scottish Rite. He belongs to the Harvard Club and B’nai B’rith. His political Endorsement is given to the republican party and his religious faith is that of the Jewish church, his membership being in the United Hebrew Temple. He is a man of high professional attainments and of sterling personal qualities and has gained wide and favorable acquaintances during the long period of his residence in St. Louis.