H. M. MILLER, M. D. He whose name heads this sketch is one of the early pioneers of Douglas County, for he took up his abode here in 1856, and has here ever since made his home. He is a native of east Tennessee, for there his eyes first opened on the light November 12, 1837, his parents being Dobson and Mary A. (Burnett) Miller, who were also natives of that State, although the paternal grandfather, Henry M. Miller, was born in England. He was a soldier of the Revolutionary War, and died after his removal to Tennessee, as did his wife. The maternal grandfather, Moses Burnett, was of French extraction but a native of Tennessee, and in this State both he and his wife passed from life. In 1856 Dobson Miller removed with his family to Douglas County, Missouri, entered a tract of land about five miles north of Ava, and was there engaged in farming until his death in 1877, having been a soldier in Company B, of a Webster County regiment, in the Missouri Home Guards. He was a thrifty farmer, made a good property and became well and favorably known. His wife, who was born in Tennessee, died in 1872, having borne him ten children: Eliza V., who died after her marriage with J. A. G. Reynolds, was the mother of M. C. Reynolds; William M., who died in 1889, was a soldier of the Civil War; John W., who is living in Ava, was a soldier and is now a farmer; James B. is a farmer of this county and was also a soldier of the Civil War; Margaret E. is the-widow of J. A. G. Reynolds and is living in Ava; Andy P. is a farmer of this county, and was a soldier; Bunetta is the wife of W. F. Day, of Mansfield, Missouri; Penelope was the wife of B. Malloner, of this county, and died at the age of twenty-seven, and one child died in infancy.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Dr. H. M. Miller was nineteen years old when he came to this county, and in the common schools of his native State and also in this State to some extent he obtained his education. He has made his own way in the world from the time he was fifteen,and first gave his attention to farming on Bryant Creek. In 1856 he took up his residence in Ava, in the vicinity of which place he turned his attention to farming, and from here, April 10, 1861, he enlisted in Company B of the Home Guards, and served until March, 1862, and later in Company E, Seventy-third Missouri State Militia, and served until April 10, 1863. He then enlisted in Company C, Sixth Missouri State Militia, serving until August 15, 1863, when he was discharged on account of disability. He was in all the battles of Price’s raid,was at Wilson’s Creek, and took an active part in numerous skirmishes, proving himself a brave and faithful soldier.
After the war he returned to the peaceful pursuits of agriculture, but from 1871 to 1876 was also engaged in the milling business. He then came to Ava and opened a drug store, which business he has since followed successfully, but part of this time he has also handled a general stock of goods, his sons now having charge of the dry goods department. In 1861 he began practicing medicine, having fitted himself for the profession by much private study, and in following this calling he has been successful. He is one of the leading business men of the town and is well known all over the county both in his business and professional capacity. He is a member of the A. F. & A. M., the I. O. O. F., and is a member of the Republican party. He was married in this county to Miss Lucinda King, a daughter of John King, and to their union one son was given, William M., who is living in Ava, a prominent business man. His first wife died in 1861, and Dr. Miller afterward married Margaret Doyle, a daughter of G. Doyle, by whom he has seven children: Penelope A., deceased; Andy P., who is married and a merchant of Ava; John F., also a merchant; James B.; Mary P., deceased; Tom and Rose B. The Doctor and his wife are highly respected and he is one of the public-spirited men of the county.