The large canning factory at Fryeburg village was built by Asa 0. Pike, who rented it to the Portland Packing CO. about thirty years ago. After Mr. Pike’s death his heirs sold the factory to Tobias L. Eastman who carried on the business until the fall of 1905, when he sold to the present owners, H. C. Baxter & Bro. of Brunswick. This factory has a capacity of 1,000,000 cans of corn, requiring the product from 150 acres.
The factory at North Fryeburg was built in 1890, by H. C. Baxter & Bro., the present operators. Capacity 1,000,000. M. F. Fogg was the first foreman of this shop, being succeeded by E. W. Jones five years ago. This is operated as the Snow Flake Canning Co., another factory at East Fryeburg, but located in the town of Denmark is operated by this company with G. T. Cook, foreman. This was built by Harnden & Warren about 1893, and sold to Baxter & Brother ten years later. The factory at Lovell is also under the same management.
The greenhouses of W. H. Tarbox & Son were built the first in 1900, and two more the following season for raising cucumbers for shipment.
The E. W. Burbank Seed Co., Seth W. Fife, proprietor, was established by Mr. Burbank in 1880 in a small way. Mr. Fife became connected with the business in 1886. The output has steadily increased until at the present time some 2000 boxes are annually distributed among retail merchants throughout New England.