Willis G. Weaver, former clerk of the District Court of Wabaunsee County, had for many years been engaged in the abstract, real estate, loan and insurance business at Alma. He is one of the most widely known men in the county.
Mr. Weaver was born at New London, Connecticut, January 7, 1864, but had lived in this part of Kansas since he was a small child. The Weaver family were identified with New England from the earliest period of settlement. It is said that they came out of England and settled in Massachusetts in 1636. Mr. Weaver’s father was the late Dr. Lathrop P. Weaver, the first physician to locate and carry on a regular practice at the Town of Wabaunsee. He was born at Enfield, Connecticut, in 1823, grew up and married there, entered his profession as a physician and surgeon, and during the war he offered his services to Governor Buckingham of Connecticut as a surgeon but was never called out for duty. In April, 1868, he came to Wabaunsee, Kansas, and handled a large practice there until his death in 1874. He also filled the office of postmaster and was a justice of the peace. In politics he was a republican and was an active supporter of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Doctor Weaver married Amy A. Kinne, who was born at Voluntown, Connecticut, in 1827, and died at Wabaunsee, Kansas, March 3, 1872. W. G. Weaver was the fourth of five children. Ellen F. the oldest, died at Manhattan, Kansas, in October, 1913. She was first married in 1870 to A. C. Cutler, a farmer, and in 1873 became the wife of George T. Fielding, who was in the grain, seed and livestock business at Manhattan, where he died in October, 1916. George L. Weaver, the second child, is a hotel man at Chicago, Illinois. Lathrop P., Jr., lives at West Park, New York, where he is superintendent of water, lights and storage on the fine Colonel Payne estate. E. H. Weaver, the youngest of the family, is connected with the Rock Island Railway Company at Davenport, Iowa.
Willis G. Weaver received his early education in the public school at Wabaunsee and also attended the State Agricultural College at Manhattan. On leaving college in 1882 he became a farmer and put in thirteen years as an agriculturist in Wabaunsee County. He was called from his farm to the office of clerk of the District Court, and filled that position for four years, from 1895 to 1899. Since the beginning of his official term he moved his residence to Alma and had been an active member of that community for over twenty years. Since leaving office he had built up a large abstract, insurance and farm loan business, his offices being in his own building on Missouri Street. He owned a good modern home in the suburbs of Alma.
Mr. Weaver also served as city treasurer of Alma five years, and is now clerk of the District Court, having been appointed by Judge R. C. Heizer to fill the unexpired term of O. B. Hughes, resigned. He is a republican, a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, is affiliated with Alma Lodge No. 161, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Kaw Valley Chapter No. 53, Royal Arch Masons, at Wamego, Oriental Commandery No. 48, Knights Templar, at Manhattan, Alma Chapter No. 270 of the Eastern Star, Alma Lodge No. 76 of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, Sylvan Camp No. 1203 of the Modern Woodmen of America at Alma, and the Fraternal Aid Union.
Mr. Weaver married at Keats, Kansas, December 14, 1892, Miss Clara B. Chamberlain, daughter of M. A. and R. E. (Totten) Chamberlain, her mother being now a resident of Riley, Kansas, where her father, who was a farmer, is deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Weaver have four children. Margaret M. is a teacher in Wabaunsee County. Hal G. is cashier for the Fuller Construction Company at Fort Riley. Lathrop A. is a freshman in the local high school, while Myrtle E. is still a pupil in the grade school.