Ralph Randolph Hibben. Parsons is the home and headquarters of a number of men who have given many years of faithful service to the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway Company. One of these is Ralph Randolph Hibben, Assistant Fuel Agent for this road, and for almost a quarter of a century had been continuously identified with the Coal Department of this company. He is also a member of the Board of Directors of the International Railway Fuel Association of America. He is of English, Irish stock originally, his ancestors on his mother’s side coming to America with William Penn, and settled in Pennsylvania. His ancestors on his father’s side were from Ireland and they also settled in Pennsylvania, prior to the Revolutionary war.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Mr. Hibben is a native of Kansas and son of a distinguished pioneer physician, Dr. W. W. Hibben. Doctor Hibben settled in Emporia October 31, 1867, and was engaged in the practice of medicine from that time until his death, October, 1883. In addition to his regular practice, he was associated with one Doctor Jacobs in the drug business. He was a member of the City Council for two terms and held the office of coroner for one term. He was also examining surgeon for Board of Pensions at Emporia for nine years and was the president of this board from its incipiency to his death. He was a member of the County and State Medical societies, was also member of Lodge No. 12, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and of Chapter No. 12, Royal Arch Masons, and was a charter member of the Emporia Commandery No. 8, Knights Templar.
Doctor Hibben was born in Uniontown, Fayette County, Pennsylvania, April 7, 1825, moved to Jamestown, Green County, Ohio, with his parents in 1832, remaining there until he moved to Kansas. He received his medical education in the Ohio Medical College, and in the Cincinnati College of Medicine and Surgery, from which he was graduated in 1854. He commenced to practice in Jamestown, Green County, Ohio, but after a short time removed to Paintersville, and one year later to Lumberton, Clinton County, Ohio. He was one of the first medical practitioners at Emporia, and practiced there with much success until his death in 1883. For a number of years he was surgeon for the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway Company. He was an old line republican, having been identified with that party from its origin. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Doctor Hibben was married in Paintersville, Ohio, February 9, 1854, to Euphemia A. Watson, a native of Quakertown, Bucks County, Pennsylvania, she being born in Quakertown in the year 1832, and died in Los Angeles, California, in the year 1912. Their children were J. H., who is superintendent of the Coal Department of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway, at Parsons; Charles H., connected with the Hooker Pipe Company, at Los Angeles, California; George, a farmer living at Los Angeles; William, twin brother of George, who is connected with the Wells Fargo & Company Express, at Kansas City, Missouri; Mayme, wife of G. Gillelan, a retired loan and real estate dealer, living at Los Angeles; Ralph R.; and Jennie, wife of Charles E. Jarvis, who is secretary to the Board of Directors of the First Church of Christ Scientists, Boston, Massachusetts.
Ralph Randolph Hibben was born at Emporia, Kansas, October 28, 1872, and lived in that city during his youth. He attended the public schools, and nearly completed his senior year in the high school. On leaving high school in 1890, he began working for the Wells Fargo & Company Express, and was there employed until April, 1892. On June 1, 1892, Mr. Hibben entered the service of the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway Company in the Fuel Department. His first position was that of fuel foreman, and he had been steadily at work in that department ever since, and is now assistant fuel agent for this great corporation with offices in the general headquarters at Parsons.
Mr. Hibben is independent in politics and a member of the Christian Science Church. He belongs to the Parsons Commercial Club, and fraternally is affiliated with Parsons Lodge No. 117, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and Parsons Chapter No. 39, Royal Arch Masons and Coeur De Leon Commandery No. 17, Knights Templar at Parsons.
Mr. Hibben owned an attractive residence at No. 1404 Broadway. On March 4, 1912, at Parsons, he married Miss Harriett Kiser, daughter of J. Q. Kiser, now deceased, who was a farmer and stock raiser near Emporia.