Denton & Limbocker. More of the business of the town of South Mound in Neosho County, is handled through the firm of Denton & Limbocker than any other one commercial organization. They are grain dealers, merchants, farmers, bankers, and both partners also have an important part in public affairs, Mr. Denton being postmaster of South Mound, while Mr. Limbocker is a county commissioner.
John F. Denton was born in Pulaski County, Missouri, September 9, 1878. His ancestors were Scotch-Irish people who were early settlers in Kentucky. His grandfather, Thomas Denton, was born in Kentucky, moved into Missouri, and died in Hancock County of that state in 1896.
F. M. Denton, father of John F., was born in Kentucky, in 1851, but was reared and married in Pulaski County, Missouri. After farming for a few years he engaged in merchandising at Hancock in Pulaski County, and in June, 1889, came to Kansas. After a month at St. Paul he removed to South Mound, and there took up merchandising and the grain business, which he followed until his death, in May, 1915. He was always a loyal democrat, and was an active supporter of the Methodist Episcopal Church, serving as trustee of the church at South Mound. Fraternally he was affiliated with the Masonic Order and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. F. M. Denton married Mollie J. Decker, who was born in Illinois, in 1853, and is now living at South Mound. Their children were: C. A. Denton, who was a boilermaker at Parsons, Kansas; John F.; Mollie, wife of F. H. Hoover, a farmer at South Mound; Hattle V., wife of Mr. Glenn Limboeker, partner of John F. Denton; E. E. Denton, who is a railroad engineer with the Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway, living at Parsons; the sixth child, a daughter, died in infancy; A. A. Denton is a boilermaker at Springfield, Missouri; and Ethel E., wife of Roy E. Burt, a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church, living at Lawrence, Kansas.
John F. Denton received his early training in the public schools of South Mound, and afterward took a course in the business college at Sedalia, Missouri. While he had had a most successful career, he is one of these men who do well in various occupations. He was a farmer for three years at South Mound, and then for eight years was a railroad man, being employed in the general offices and shops at Springfield, Missouri. Returning to South Mound, he engaged in the mercantile business, and the firm of Denton & Limbocker now have an immense trade, extending all over the country around South Mound. They also conduct a grain elevator, this elevator being situated on the Missouri, Kansas & Texas tracks, while the store is on Main Street. Mr. Denton also had a good residence on Main Street. The firm owned and uses as an adjunct to their business a farm of 110 acres in South Mound.
Mr. Denton was reared a democrat, and had always been active in that party. In April, 1915, he was appointed by President Wilson as postmaster at South Mound. At one time he served a term as township treasurer. He is a member and trustee of the Methodist Episcopal Church, is affiliated with Lodge No. 53, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, at Osage Mission, with Parsons Lodge of Masons, with South Mound Camp No. 8036, Modern Woodmen of America. Much of his time Mr. Denton gives to his office as president of the South Mound State Bank.
In 1903 at South Mound he married Miss Lettie P. Limbocker, a sister of his business partner. Her parents, J. G. and Jennie (McKee) Limbocker, reside at South Mound, her father being a farmer.