Horace Greeley Kyle, whose name is widely known over the State of Kansas on account of his legislative experience and active participation in public and business affairs, is a successful stock farmer and owned a splendid place in Dickinson County known as “The Cedars.” That is the scene of his business activities as a farmer and raiser of blooded livestock.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Mr. Kyle is a native of Kansas and belongs to the pioneer and territorial element. He was born in a log cabin four miles west of Holton in Jackson County October 21, 1861. His father, James B. Kyle, came to Kansas with his wife in 1857, located on the frontier in Jackson County and from that district he volunteered his services early in the Civil war as a private in Company B of the Eleventh Kansas Volunteers. He was in service until killed by Missouri bushwhackers in 1863. His widow, whose maiden name was Susan Halsted, was born in Indiana. She was a relative of the noted Murat Halsted, a journalist and diplomat and former proprietor of the Cincinnati Enquirer.
In the fall of 1871 Mrs. Susan Kyle removed to Marion County, Kansas, where her son Horace G. grew to manhood. After finishing his school work in that county he taught during several winter terms and carried on the farm in the summer.
He early took an active part in public affairs in Marion County and in 1893 was elected register of deeds and filled that office two terms. Politically he had always been a republican, and from 1897 to 1903 was congressional committeeman for Marion County. He was elected a member of the Legislature for the session of 1909 and also served by re-election in 1911. In the latter session he served as chairman of the committee on education.
Mr. Kyle moved to his farm in Dickinson County in March, 1912. “The Cedars” is a highly improved stock farm. It contains 480 acres and is located four miles northeast of Abilene. It had all the modern building and other equipment required for the successful handling of blooded cattle, in which Mr. Kyle specializes.
In Dickinson County he had continued his activity in local affairs and in 1915 was elected secretary of the Republican County Central Committee and was chairman of that committee in 1916. Since 1913 he had held by election the office of president of the Farmers’ Institute. Mr. Kyle is a member of the Methodist Church. In 1884 he married Miss Anna Hardcastle. They have seven children, five sons and two daughters.