Biography of Aron Dick, Jr.
Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Aron Dick, Jr., is editor and owner of the Inman Review at Inman, and had been continuously identified with that publication since early boyhood. He acquired most of his education in what had been called the greatest of universities, a printing office, and is not only a practical printer but a practical and thorough newspaper man.
Mr. Dick was born February 9, 1885, on a farm in McPherson County, Kansas, five miles southeast of the Town of Inman. His parents were Aron and Anna (Kroeker) Dick. His parents were of that substantial stock of people, Mennonites in religion, who came out of Southern Russia and have done so much for the development of Kansas as a great wheat growing state. Aron Dick, Sr., who was of German parentage, was born in Russia August 20, 1835. In 1870 he immigrated to America, and was one of the pioneers of McPherson County. He bought a tract of new land in that section and was active as a farmer until 1889. In that year he sold his place and went to the new town of Inman, and took an important part in building up its local business and industries. He lived there until his death on November 11, 1913. He was one of the active and influential members of the Mennonite Church. Aron Dick, Sr., was married in Russia in 1869, the year before his immigration, his wife being a daughter of Henry Kroeker. Mrs. Dick was born February 5, 1836, and is still living. She was the mother of six children, two sons and four daughters: Anna, wife of B. A. Ratzlaff of Inman, Kansas; Peter and Eva, both of whom died in infancy; Catherine, wife of John Hiebert, of Inman; and Elizabeth, who is unmarried and lives with her mother.
Aron Dick, Jr., the youngest of the family, was educated in the public schools of Inman and at the age of twelve entered the office of the Inman Review to learn the trade of printer. He worked in every capacity from printer’s devil to compositor, pressman, reporter and editorial and business manager. On April 1, 1910, he bought the plant, and had since conducted the paper as editor and owner. The Review was established in 1882, and is one of the oldest papers of McPherson County. It had a large and influential circulation in the southwestern part of the county, and Mr. Dick had shown true journalistic ability in managing his enterprise.
The paper is independent in politics, while Mr. Dick is a republican, but with no special time or inclination for politics. Since 1912 he had served as a member of the city council. He was married September 4, 1916, at Santa Barbara, California, to Miss Mabel C. Henderson. Her parents were natives of Iowa and of Irish stock. Mrs. Dick was born on a farm in Reno County, Kansas, September 1, 1880.