Andrew H. Miller, brother of Alvin W., is also closely identified with the business affairs of Formoso, where he is manager and treasurer of the Formoso Mercantile Company. He was born at Freeport in Stephenson County, Illinois, June 3, 1872, but, like his brother, was educated in the public schools of Jewell City. He left high school at the age of sixteen, went to work for the Robinson Mercantile Company, and had been connected with that firm almost altogether throughout his business career. In 1900 the company sent him to Formcso as manager of their large general merchandise store, which is one of the chief business enterprises in Jewell County. The store is located on Main Street. Mr. Miller built a modern residence on Main Street in 1908. He is a republican, prasident of the board of education, is past master of Formoso Lodge No. 336, Aneient Free and Accepted Masons, and a member of Jewell Chapter, Royal Arch Masons, and Beloit Commandery of the Kuights Templar.
In 1898, at Jewell City, Andrew H. Miller married Miss Jessie Postlethwaite. They have one child, John Postlethwaite, born January 17, 1909.
Mrs. Louisa McClung Postlethwaite, mother of Mrs. Andrew H. Miller, and residing at their home in Formoso, was born in Williamsburg, Ohio, daughter of Robert R. McClung, one of the Kansas pioneers. Mr. MeClung was born in Butler County, Pennsylvania, June 6, 1805, of ancestry that came to Pennsylvania in colonial days from Scotland. he died in Jewell City, Kansas, June 21, 1888, at the age of eighty-three. He was reared and marricd in Butler County, Pennsylvania, moved from there to Ohio, and in 1868 joined the earliest settlers in the vicinity of Jewell City, Kansas. He and other members of the family home steaded five quarter sections of land, and he was actively engaged in farming until his death. He was a very stanch republican, an elder and active supporter of the Presbyterian Church. Mr. McClung married for his first wlfe Miss Nancy McCanlass, who died in Butler County, Pennsylvania, and the only child of the union was drowned when young. For his second wife Mr. McClung married Louisa Leffingwell, who was born at New Haven, Connecticut, in 1806 and ditd at Jewell, Kansas, in November, 1879, at the age of seventythree. There were four children of this marriage: Orville, who served as a Union soldier and died in Oklahoma, where he had filled the office of pestmaster; Nancy married George S. Green, both now deceased; W. C. McClung, who had charge of a seed house at Jewell City; and Mrs. postlethwaite.
Mrs. Postlethwaite was educated in the public schools at Oxford, Ohio, and also attended the Oxford Woman’s College there. She was married to Mr. Postlethwaite at Manhattan, Kansas, in 1870. She is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and a charter member of Jewell Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star.
Mr. J. C. Postlethwaite, father of Mrs. A. H. Miller, was born at Newton Hamilton, Pennsylvania, August 22, 1848. He died at Jewell City November 26, 1910. At the age of twenty, in 1868, he accompanied his parents to Manhattan, Kansas, and in 1871, a year after his marriage, moved to Jewell City. He studied law in local offices at Jewell City, was admitted to the bar and was a very successful lawyer and real estate man. He was very closely identified with the Methodist Episcopal Church the greater part of his life. He was also prominent in Masonic circles, being past master of Jewell Lodge No. 11, Anclent Free and Accepted Masons, a member of Jewell Chapter, Royal Arch Massons, and past eminent commander of Beloit Commandery, Knights Templar. For many years he served as treasurer of the Masonie Home at Wichita. He was a stockholder and director in the Natlonal Bank of Jewell, and in politics a republican. Mr. and Mrs. Postlethwaite had five children: Robert C., an attorney living at Jewell City; Jessie, wife of Mr. A. H. Miller; William C., bookkeeper for the Idaho Implement Company at Caldwell, Idaho; John, a farmer at Eik Falls, Kansas; and Frank McClung, a physician and surgeon, a graduste of the Kansas City Medical College and now in practice at Kansas City, Missouri.