George B. Cox first came to Larned, Kansas, in 1872 and opened a hotel and ran the same until he came to Dodge City and began the erection of The Dodge House in the fall and winter of the same year. This hotel is 30×125 feet deep, and contains thirty-eight rooms. It was erected and furnished at a cost of $11,452, and opened to the public January 18, 1873. It was run by the firm of Cox & Boyd until January 10, 1883, when Mr. Cox bought the whole interest. He was born in Butts County, Ga., September 10, 1836, and lived in that State until the Rebellion broke out, when he became a member of the Fourth Georgia Volunteer Infantry, and served until the close of the war. After army life he drifted about in various places until he came to Kansas. He was married in 1871 to Miss Annie H. Bennett, of Trenton, N. J. They have one daughter, Clara Bell. He is a member of the Farmers’ and Mechanics’ Insurance Company of St. Louis, Mo., and E. A. Union of Dodge City. He has served as Probate Judge of Ford County, and Chairman of the Board of County Commissioners; has been a member of the City Council, at present a member of the School Board.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.