Keeler Brothers, Perhaps no more attractive town in Mitchell County, Kansas, can be found than the one that bears the name of Scottsville, which might now celebrate its thirty-eighth birthday, although it was not incorporated for a number of years afterward. It had made wonderful progress since first laid out in 1878, and from then on down to the present great credit must be given for the same to the Keeler family, for it had been continuously identified with all the substantial development here.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Ira B. and A. N. Keeler, under the firm style of Keeler Brothers, are the leading general merchants of Scottsville. They were born in Illinois and are sons of J. and Lydia E. (Morse) Keeler, who came to Kansas in 1878, accompanied by their four children: Ira B., Harriet B., A. N. and Delia L.
The mercantile interests of Scottsville were and still are very important here. After the town was laid out, as above noted, on a section of land owned by G. W. Werts, two enterprising men, B. R. Glidden and J. Keeler, embarked in a general store business and continued until burned out on December 31, 1884, at whieh time a second mercantile firm, Peters and Culp, also suffered from fire. The latter firm, as Culp & Miller, subsequently resumed business. In 1901 the two sons of J. Keeler, who was the first postmaster of Scottsville, went into a general mercantile business that they have expanded into one of the large enterprises of this section. The firm of Keeler Brothers had high standing all over Mitchell County. In 1907 the firm erected a substantial two story and basement building, with dimensions of forty by eighty-five feet, which gives them floor space for their business amounting to 3,400 square feet. The upper floor is owned by the Masonic fraternity. The store is well stocked, the merchandise having been carefully selected with a knowledge of loeal tastes and prevailing fashions, and as the proprietors are courteous, obliging and impartial they enjoy a large patronage.
The city of Scottsville was incorporated in January, 1907, with Ira B. Keeler as first mayor, an office he administered for two terms. His successors have been four other leading citizens: Daniel Shamburg, A. F. McKeller, H. Christie and J. E. Squires.
A. N. Keeler is a graduate of the university at Salina, Kansas. Previous to embarking in the mercantile business with his brother he taught school very acceptably for ten years in Kansas and two years in the State of Washington. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
In June, 1910, A. N. Keeler was united in marriage with Miss Carrie Lipke, who is a daughter of W. F. and Alice Lipke. They have one son, James V.