Hotel Rinehart was one of the hostelries of Battle Creek, Iowa, situated a short distance from the railroad depot. It had 14 bright, cheery, neat and comfortable rooms and was inviting to the dusty, fatigued traveler. There was a restaurant and lunch counter where the best of meals and all temperance drinks were provided.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Mr. Rinehart was born in Frederick County, Maryland, February 21, 1859, son of Daniel and Margaret (Hyder) Rinehart, both natives of the same state. Joseph Rinehart joined the westward tide of emigration in 1882 and moved to Ida County, Iowa, where he entered the employ of the Bowman Lumber Co. After one year’s service there, he was transferred by the company to Holstein where he remained two years.
He then moved to Ida Grove for the same company until March 1884. Then he was transferred to Arthur, Iowa, and took charge of that company’s yards there for 15 months. He then transferred to Battle Creek to superintend the same company’s yard there and stayed until June 1892 when the company sold out to other parties.
Then he bought the hotel known as Hotel Hopkins. He married Elizabeth Estep, a native of Illinois, and the daughter of George W. and Sarah Estep. They had two children: Hazel Pearl and Jennie Cecil.