Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
John J. Jones was many years previous to his death most prominently identified with the affairs of Douglas County. He was born in. Virginia in about the year 1835 and died in Chicago in July, 1893. In early life he came to Illinois as a penniless orphan and located at Georgetown, in Vermilion County, where he resided with two of his cousins and with whom he remained until he was about grown, when he came and located in Camargo. Here he be-came a clerk for Alonzo Lyons, remaining with him for some time, when he, in partner-ship with Coleman Bright, who was manager for Mr. Lyons, started a little grocery store at Camargo. This was along in the ‘5os. The firm continued very successfully in business up until the fall of 1864. Then they sold out, came to Tuscola, and engaged in general merchandising, taking in a Mr. Wibly as a partner, under the firm name of Bright, Jones & Wibly. In about 1868 Mr. Wibly sold his interest to Bright and Jones, who continued together in business until Mr. Jones sold his interest to Mr. Bright; this was along about 1884 or 1885. Mr. Jones then gave his entire time to the management of his large farm near Tuscola. He was twice elected mayor of Tuscola. In the fall of 189o he became the president of the banking house of Baughman, Orr & Co. and remained as such up to the time of his death, Mr. Jones was united in marriage to Miss Lizzie Ketchum, a daughter of Dr. Ketchum, of Terre Haute, Indiana; she survives him. John J. Jones was of quiet and unassuming manner, a self-made man and his uninterrupted success and his character as a man were well worthy of the admiration of the entire people. He had the mind to conceive and the hand to direct his business affairs in such a way that brought him success in all of his undertakings. For many years he was a consistent member of the First Presbyterian Church and a member of the Melita Commandery of Knights Templar of Tuscola.