CHARLES A. HENDERSON. The oldest drug store in Madison County is that now conducted by Charles A. Henderson, at Anderson, which has been used as a pharmacy for more than forty-five years, and has an old and well-established trade. Mr. Henderson, who is widely and favorably known in Anderson; is a veteran of the Civil war, and both in times of war and peace has justified the confidence that has been placed in him, and has ably and faithfully discharged his duties as both soldier and citizen. He was born near Zanesville, Muskingum County, Ohio, January 28, 1844, and is a son of William R. and Ann (Lumb) Hender son. His father was born in Orange County, New York, and was an early settler of Muskingum County, where he practiced law until his death. He was a son of John Henderson, an early settler of West Virginia, who was born in the North of Ireland, and who emigrated thence to New York, later settling in West Virginia and taking up his residence in the vicinity of the city of Wheeling.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
The educational training of Charles A. Henderson was secured in the public schools of Dresden, Ohio, where, after taking his high school course under the instruction of Robert Stevenson, a noted educator of that day, he entered a pharmacy in Zanesville, Ohio, and there he learned the drug business. He was so engaged at the outbreak of the struggle between the North and the South, and in 1863 came to Decatur, Indiana. His youthful patriotism and enthusiasm for the cause of the Union led him to enlist as a member of Company 5, Fifty-ninth Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry. He entered the service as a raw recruit, was mustered in at Kendallville, soon after being placed in charge of a company doing guard duty at Indianapolis, Indiana, where he served his full time in the service. He received his honorable discharge in 1865, and returning from his military career, he spent two years in the drug business at Rochester, then went to Indianapolis, where he was employed by A. Kiefer, who was engaged in the sale of wholesale drugs. Mr. Henderson’s advent into Anderson was in 1868, and since that time’ this city has been his home and the scene of his business activities. He continued to successfully conduct this business until 1882, when he was elected clerk of the court of Madison County, a position he continued to hold four years. During this time he also ran his drug store successfully, having a competent man in charge of the business, so that his time was not deflected from his official duties. The stock of his establishment is a comprehensive one, embracing varied lines of drugs and medicines, toilet articles, druggists sundries and such other stock as is usual to first class pharmacies, and his business has with the passing years continued to show a steady and gratifying gr0wth. Absolutely reliable, Mr. Henderson has gained and held the confidence of his fellow townsmen, and as a business man and a private citizen is held in the highest esteem.
On June 1. 1875, Mr. Henderson was united in marriage with Miss Harriett E. Crabbs, of Wabash, Indiana. a daughter of Joseph Crabbs, a banker of that city, and well known and highly esteemed in that part of the state. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Henderson, as follows: Charles E., a druggist; Joseph C., who is also engaged in that business; Frederick A., a physician and surgeon, and a graduate of Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, and now serving as interne in the Kings County Hospital in New York City; Bessie M., the only daughter, who died in the seventeenth year of her life. The wife and mother died on December 23, 1906, and her loss is deeply mourned, not only by her family, but by all who knew her and shared in her worthy life in any way.
Mr. Henderson has always been a stalwart Democrat, but with the exception of four years spent as County clerk and two years as city clerk of Anderson, he has never aspired to public service. 011 both those occasions he was elected to the office by magnificent and flattering majorities, and in both he gave a worthy service, in every way satisfactory to the public and creditable to himself. His fraternal connections are with the A. F. & A: M. Mt. Moriah Lodge No. 77, in which he has taken the Master’s degree. He also has membership in Major May Post No. 244, G. A. R., and his friends in all walks of life are numerous and devoted.