William L. Gray, M. D. The professional services of Dr. William L. Gray in Champaign County cover a period of more than a quarter of a century. In the quiet performance of his duty he has attended a large private practice, and has likewise become well known through his work in behalf of local institutions and as a citizen. Doctor Gray is in the front rank of surgeons in this section of Illinois.
Doctor Gray was born in DeWitt County, Illinois, January 23, 1866. His parents were Worship and Mary Elizabeth (Salisbury) Gray. His father, who was born in County Cavan, Ireland, in 1833, came to America, and about 1863 located in DeWitt County, Illinois, becoming a farmer. He also for many years did an extensive business as a stock and grain buyer and shipper. His death occurred in 1905 when about seventy-three years of age. After coming to Illinois he married Mary Elizabeth Williams, a widow. She died in 1908. By her first marriage to Mr. Williams she had three children: Ella, wife of Silas Hand, at Champaign, well known in real estate circles; and Ira and Annie, deceased. Worship Gray and wife also had three children: Fred S., living in Florida; Doctor Gray; and Worship, now deceased.
Doctor Gray during his boyhood attended the country schools and also the graded school, and his higher education was largely the product of his own earnings and steadfast ambition. He entered the Keokuk Medical College, from which he was graduated M. D. in 1891. Immediately after graduating he began practice at Champaign and has been steadily identified with that city ever since. He has sought every opportunity outside the range of his personal observation and experience to improve his skill and ability. In 1898 he spent some months in the Post-Graduate Medical School at Chicago, was also in the clinics of the famous Mayo Brothers at Rochester, Minnesota, and has attended schools and hospitals in Boston and New York. In 1914 Doctor Gray went abroad for study and travel and was in London, England, when the great European war broke out.
For the first ten years after locating at Champaign Doctor Gray was in general practice, but has since specialized in surgery and in consultation. He has been surgeon of the Burnham Hospital at Champaign since 1895, and is district surgeon of the Illinois Traction Company and of the Bell Telephone Company.
On April 10, 1888, he married Miss Olive Anderson, a native of Champaign County. They are the parents of two children: Hubert W. and Muriel Olive. Doctor Gray served twenty years as a member of the Board of Education in Champaign, serving eight years of the time as president of the board, and for eight years was health officer. He is a member of the Masonic order and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks.