Discover your family's story.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
S. C. Tucker, the present mayor of Champaign, has long been identified with Champaign in business affairs and in politics, is also a former mayor of the city and a former city treasurer, and is that type of man whose energy means something in the constructive administration of a city’s affairs.
Mr. Tucker was born in Saybrook, Illinois, January 9, 1871, a son of Sylvester and Sarah (McDaniel) Tucker. His father was a native of Ohio and his mother of Illinois. In 1882 the Tucker family removed to Champaign County, where Sylvester Tucker followed his trade as a carpenter until his death. They were the parents of eight children: Ollie of Champaign; Ida, wife of C. W. Warner of Jackson, Mississippi; W. G., who lives in Champaign and is an engineer with the Illinois Central Railway; S. C.; A. J. of Sheridan, Wyoming; Margaret, deceased; Charles J. of Champaign; and L. E. of Champaign.
S. C. Tucker was eleven years of age when his parents removed to Champaign County, and he finished his education in the local high school. He began his business career as clerk in a grocery store and later was with the firm of Maxwell & Mollet for about nine years. He then engaged in business for himself on East University Avenue and conducted one of the well stocked stores along that thoroughfare for five years.
In the meantime he was elected city treasurer, an office he filled two years; from 1909 to 1911 he was the capable mayor of Champaign, being elected to that office on the Republican ticket. After Champaign adopted the commission form of government Mr. Tucker’s name was prominently mentioned in connection with the office of mayor, and he was elected for that position. In 1903 Mr. Tucker removed to the corner of Church and Neil streets, where he conducted his place of business for fifteen years, and in June, 1917, moved to the opposite corner from where he had been located for so many years.
He was married in October, 1897, to Miss Florence Ballentine, a native of Toledo, Ohio. She died June 4, 1915, leaving three children, all at home, named Marion, Claude and Creed. Mr. Tucker married for his present wife Mrs. Emma Collison, widow of Fred Collison of Rantoul, Illinois. Mrs. Tucker is an active member of the Christian Church, while Mr. Tucker is a Methodist. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and the Woodmen of the World.