Frank Miller was until his recent death one of the enterprising farm managers of Champaign County and had under his adequate direction and control one of the largest individual farms of the entire county. It is the extensive Matis farm of 510 acres, situated in section 10 of Champaign Township. The home is on Rural Route No. 1 out of Champaign. During the six years he had charge of this estate he demonstrated his capacity for handling a big farming proposition on progressive lines and in a manner profitable to himself and to the owners of the land. Besides general farming he made something of a specialty of breeding and raising thoroughbred Hereford cattle, English shire horses, and Duroc Jersey hogs. The finest animals of these types in eastern Illinois were found on his place.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Mr. Miller was a native of Champaign County, where he was born February 23, 1870, a son of Daniel and Mary (Potts) Miller. Both his father and mother were born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and his father came to Champaign County in the early ’60s. He was one of the sturdy and progressive farmers of this county, and lived here until his death in 1897. The mother passed away November 30, 1915. They had eight children: Susan, William H. and Minnie, all deceased; Charles, of Mendota, Illinois; George, deceased; Frank; Catherine, wife of M. M. Wheatley, of Seymour; and Alice, wife of John Bevins, of Champaign.
Mr. Frank Miller had the life of the average farmer boy, attended the district schools, and he early assumed the responsibilities of caring for his widowed mother and his two younger sisters on the farm. On leaving the old home place here moved to Champaign and for about fifteen years was engaged in teaming and the livery business. He retired from that line in 1911 to take the management of the present place above mentioned.
Mr. Miller was married December 10, 1905, to Miss Mary E. Simeral, a native of Cumberland County, Illinois. Two children were born to their union: Daniel Ross, born July 5, 1907; and William Henry, born March 12, 1910. Mr. Miller besides the heavy responsibilities he carried in the management of his farm was serving as highway commissioner at the time of his death. He was a Republican and was affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
Mr. Miller passed away September 13, 1917, and his remains were interred in Mount Hope Cemetery; he was buried under the auspices of the I. O. O. F., his lodge being in Champaign. Mr. Miller was a gentleman of the highest ideals, his friends were many and his funeral was one of the largest held in Champaign Township. Mrs. Miller is a lady who has the love and respect of all who know her. She and her two little sons, Daniel Ross and William Henry, are left to mourn the loss of husband and father.