A. T. Robertson, M. D., physician and surgeon, dealer in drugs, medicines, etc., Ashmore; was born in Sumner Co., Tenn., June 30, 1834; his father, Rev. John H. Robertson, was born in Virginia, and removed to Tennessee with his parents when but a boy; in 1829, he came to Coles Co., and engaged in teaching school near the present city of Charleston; his name appears on the records as the second person to whom letters of administration were granted in Coles Co.; in 1832, he returned to Tennessee, where he was ordained a minister of the M. E. Church, and where he married Miss Sarah Carr, of Sumner Co.; about 1838, he removed to Camden Co., Mo., and is now a prominent and well-to-do farmer of Laclede Co., in that State. Dr. Robertson, at the age of 21, engaged in teaching in Choctaw Nation, pursuing his medical studies in the mean time; this he continued two years; in 1858, he attended his first course of lectures in the medical department of the State University at Nashville, Tenn.; he then located in Carroll Co., Ark., and began practice; during the winter of 1860-61, he attended lectures in the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, where he graduated and received his degree in the spring of 1861; returning to Arkansas, he practiced medicine there till 1864, and then removed to Ashmore; after teaching school a part of the first year, he began practicing medicine in July, 1865, and has had a large and lucrative practice ever since. He was elected Town Clerk in 1866, and served till 1877; during the past two years, he has been Notary Public and Police Magistrate. He was married in the Choctaw Nation Jan. 30, 1858, to Miss Rebecca Mitchell, a native of Tennessee; they have three children living – Leonidas C., Ashley H. and Sarah A. Dr. Robertson engaged in the drug business about four years ago.
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.