One of the first military companies organized in Pulaski County after the War of 1812 was “The Home Guards.”
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
Peace and plenty characterized our growing county for a long period of years after the War of 1812-14, but as a safeguard to our homes this company was organized, as we had no military protection. When the war clouds of the sixties hovered over our Southland and men were being called into service, the “Home Guards” were merged into a large company, the intrepid “Pulaski Volunteers,” the first company to leave Pulaski County for the battlefront. Their valiant history during the War Between the States is another story. Several years after the close of the war, the company was reorganized, and for a number of years was the pride of Pulaski County, as their only military organization. Later it disbanded.
On June 20, 1916, it was recognized as Company M, 1st Infantry; May 10, 1921, recognized as Company M, 122nd Infantry; April 27, 1922, as Company M, 200th Infantry; March 28, 1924, as Company M, 121st Infantry.
The first officers of the reorganization as Company M, 122nd Infantry, were:
Captain William Mobley Watson
First Lieutenant Oscar Amos
Second Lieutenant Robert L. Fleming.
Upon the death of Captain Watson, Lieutenant O. C. Amos was made Captain, and is present company commander. Captain Amos is a veteran of the border, having served the entire time on the border, and also acted as instructor during the World War. Captain Amos and Lieutenant R. E. Dixon are both charter members of Company M. The company was called into service at Tybee Island during the flood of 1925, and returned home with no casualties. In September 1934, they were called to Porterdale, Ga., during the textile strike, serving ten days there. The company has passed very fine inspection at each Federal inspection.
The present officers are: O. C. Amos, captain; R. E. Dixon, first lieutenant; and R. H. Holland, second lieutenant.
List of Members
C. Amos, captain
Robert Asbell, first sergeant
R. E. Dixon, first lieutenant
Joseph Culpepper, corporal, Grade V
Winton Hill, second lieutenant
Robert Holland, second lieutenant