The first remembrance the writer has of the “Coggin lot” was when Capt. Isaac Merrill built the house now standing in 1831, and the barn a year after. Capt. Merrill was the son of Caleb and Betsey (Candage) (Day) Merrill, widow of James Day; born May 5, 1804. He was a sea captain, who married Louisa Clough, daughter of Asa and Abigail (Pecker) Clough, August 28, 1831; she was born Sept. 27, 1811; died August 22, 1847 leaving children as follows:
Enter a grandparent's name to get started.
- Caroline Carr Merrill, born Oct 20, 1832.
- Juliet M. Merrill, born Oct. 12, 1834.
- William Horace Merrill, born Feb. 22, 1836.
- Parris Granville Merrill, born Jan. 28, 1839.
- Mary Louisa Merrill, born Dec. 5, 1841.
- Abby Pecker Merrill, born Jan. 9, 1844.
Capt. Merrill married 2nd Joanna S. Hinckley July 11, 1851, to whom was born a son:
- Frank Pearl Wallace Merrill, March 10, 1855.
Capt. Merrill sold his place and removed to the village, where he died Dec. 18, 1881, aged 77 years, 7 months, 13 days. Since the days of Capt. Merrill, the “Coggin lot” has been owned and occupied by a Mr. Conary and others.