HUISH, (SOUTH) a parish of scattered houses, from 4 to 5 miles S.W. of Kingsbridge, has 368 souls, and 1150A. 2R. 14P. of land, bounded by the beach of Bigbury Bay, and including the hamlets of Silverhill, Galmpton, and Hope Cove, the latter of which is a small fishing village, where lodging-houses are about to be erected for the accomodation of sea bathers, by the Earl of Devon, who owns most of the parish, and is lord of the manors. The Church stands in a deep valley, and is an ancient edifice, with a tower and four bells. The perpetual curacy is annexed to the vicarage of West Alvington, and the tithes were commuted in 1840, the vicarial for £90, and the rectorial for £260 per annum. The latter belong to the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury, but are leased to W. R. Ilbert, Esq., At Galmpton is a small chapel and school, belonging to the Plymouth Brethren. The church has 16s. yearly from the churchwardens of Aveton-Gifford, but the donor is unknown.
1850 Gazetteer of South Huish England
MLA Source Citation:White, William. History, gazetteer, and directory of Devonshire. William White Publisher, 1850. AccessGenealogy.com. Web. 30 July 2016.
https://www.accessgenealogy.com/genealogy/1850-gazetteer-of-south-huish-england.htm- Last updated on Mar 1st, 2013
This page is part of a larger collection. Access the full collection at History Gazetteer and Directory of Devonshire 1850.